Did you know that June is National Dairy Month? Yup! A whole month devoted to all things dairy and delicious – milk, yogurt, cheese, and butter! I am so excited to be teaming up with the American Dairy Association Mideast and Ohio Dairy Farmers this month to bring a wonderful, easy, fresh salad your way. I was really excited to create this salad. Not only because I’m still on my salad kick this summer, but because its eaaasy to throw together. The summer heat has only seemed to addle my already pregnancy induced non-functioning brain, and we are only halfway through June! I feel like I am never going to make it to September….
This is the perfect summer salad. It is so easy to throw together in just a minute or two, and you don’t even need to think about the quantity of ingredients. It’s a salad, kids, not calculus. Just add how much you like and go from there. The main piece of importance here is quality.
Make sure you are using the best freshest ingredients you can, and it will be a stellar salad! I also love that you can make this a small side salad, or go big and add some grilled chicken for an awesome dinner salad. The vinaigrette is by far my favorite and most used of my homemade dressings – the ingredients are almost always in your pantry and it takes just a few minutes to throw it together, and lasts for a week in your fridge!
Summer Strawberry Salad
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar (if your vinegar is of really high quality, you won’t need to add this!)
- 1 TBSP minced fresh garlic (you can also substitute 1 tsp of garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Mixed lettuce (personally I like things with a bit of bite, like a mixture of spinach and arugula)
- Strawberries, washed, hulled, and quartered
- Sliced almonds
- Parmesan Cheese (the REAL stuff!!), sliced or crumbled