Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Blueberry Zucchini Cake
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini, excess water squeezed out
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pint fresh blueberries (plus more for decoration)
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray two round 8″ cake pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Grate 1 large zucchini (or two medium ones) and place into a clean dish towel. Squeeze until most of the liquid comes out. You should have about 2 cups of shredded zucchini.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla and sugar.
- Using a rubber spatula carefully fold in the zucchini.
- In a second medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the pans and then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar an salt until pale and creamy.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, and the vanilla and beat for 3-5 minutes.
- Place a small spoonful of the frosting on the center of a cake plate.
- Place one cake onto the center of the cake plate, on top of the frosting dollop (this will help keep the cake from sliding off).
- Spread half of the frosting on the cake (don;t worry about making it pretty, just spread it evenly).
- Place the other cake on top.
- Spread the remaining frosting on top, making sure to evenly spread it across.
- Sprinkle a handful of blueberries on top.
This recipe is ever so slightly adapted from I am Baker.
Looking for other awesomely epic cakes? Check these out!