Cauldron Cakes with Fig Filling
Cauldron Cakes are tender little treats (also known as Eccles Cakes) stuffed with spiced dried figs and wrapped in puff pastry. Perfect for the Wizard in training to snack on or for your next tea party!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: English
Rustic Puff Pastry
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup ice cold
1 large Egg white
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 375F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
To make the dough:
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt with a fork.
- Using your hands or a pastry blender, combine the butter and the flour mixture until the butter is pea sized pieces.
- Stir in the ice cold water with the fork until a loose dough forms.
- Turn out onto a well floured counter and pat into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough into thirds (like an envelope).
- Rotate 90 degrees, pat out the dough to a rectangle, and fold into thirds again.
- Repeat until you have folded it 6 times.
- Wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
To make the Filling:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the spices, zest, and minced figs.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut 14 rectangles.
- Place a spoonful of filling into the center of each rectangle.
- Fold in the edges and seal/roll in your hand to create a little round pillow of dough that surrounds the filling.
- Dip the smooth side of the dough into the egg white, and then dip in the turbinado sugar.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly with the palm of your hands (don’t smash it, just squash it a little).
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the top of the dough to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until just slightly starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool, and enjoy!