Easy Lemon Cakes
These lemon cakes are dainty, moist, and perfect for a tea party. Inspired by Sansa Stark of Game of Thrones, these cakes won’t disappoint a highborn lady or a commoner!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 Cakes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 lemons, sliced thinly
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBSP lemon zest
- 3 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray the wells and tops of a 12-hole muffin pan well with baking spray.
*To Make the Candied Lemons
- Slice the lemons as thinly as you can.
- In a large bottomed pot (it doesn’t need to be deep, but it does need to be wide), combine the sugar and water.
- Simmer gently to combine, and then gently place the lemon slices in a single layer into the pot.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and allow to drain on a piece of parchment paper until ready.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder until just combined.
- Add in the buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Place one candied lemon slice into the bottom of each well, making sure it fits well.
- Place a little less than 1/4 cup of batter on the top of each lemon slice.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until just starting to turn golden and the batter is firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- When warm (not hot and not completely cool, but still warm to the touch), carefully run a knife along the edge of each of the cakes and gently remove. Place upside down with the lemon slice on top.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze. Carefully drizzle over the top of each of the cakes.