Orange puff pastry pinwheels are an easy dessert for when you want something delicious & easy. Inspired by Game of Thrones House Martell.
1 box puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1 large blood orange
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Zest and juice 1 blood orange. Set each aside in separate bowls.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange zest and sugar. Use your fingers to press the two together and really rub the orange zest into the sugar.
- Stir in the cinnamon and optional cayenne pepper, if using. Remove 1 Tablespoon and set aside for after baking.
- Roll the puff pastry sheets into large rectangles about 3mm thick.
- Spread half of the remaining orange sugar over each puff pastry sheet.
- Use a rolling pin to gently press the orange sugar into the puff pastry sheet.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 7 vertical strips about 1″ wide.
- Cut each 1″ wide strip in half vertically.
- Fold the half strips over each other so the sugary sides face each other.
- Press the ends together and twist together to form a rope.
- Twist and roll the rope around itself to form a snail shell pinwheel shape.
- Tuck the loose end under neath.
- Place the pinwheels on the prepared baking sheet and place in the fridge to chill while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Make the blood orange glaze by whisking together the blood orange juice and 2.5 cups of powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled puff pastry pinwheels and sprinkle the remaining orange sugar on top.
Keywords: Puff Pastry Recipe, Blood Orange, Game of Thrones Recipe