This spiced bourbon chai is a great warm drink on a cold day. Made with Earl Grey Tea, the perfect combination of spices, a splash of honey, your favorite milk and a good dose of spiced bourbon, this drink will have you feeling warm and cozy in no time!
Sure, you could use a chai flavored tea bag, but I love using fresh whole spices – it really causes the flavors of the spices to be pure and vibrant. I also decided to be a rebel and forgo the typical ceylon or assam tea and instead replaced it with my beloved earl grey tea. I think Earl Grey works beautifully here as the bergamot in the tea pairs gorgeously with the spices added.
- 4 tsp good quality earl grey loose leaf tea (or 4 teabags)
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 4 whole pink peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- a pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups almond milk or regular milk
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Trace Bourbon
- Using a spice grinder, grind together the cardamom, allspice, peppercorns, cloves, and star anise until roughly chopped. They don’t need to be perfectly ground.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped spices, tea, cinnamon stick, the vanilla bean, and water.
- Heat to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Whisk in the almond milk and honey.
- Allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bourbon and strain out the spices
- Portion into 4 glasses and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 245 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 71mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 21g Protein: 11g