These caramelized Brussels sprouts are a quick and easy side dish recipe your family will love!
I know, I know, Brussel sprouts have a total bad rap! But just trust me for a second, ok? Have I ever lead you astray?
When I told my husband I wanted to try brussel sprouts, he told me he would divorce me if I brought them home. So you know what I did? I bought them. And I hid them in the very back of the refrigerator and piled a bunch of stuff in front of them. And then I cooked them when he wasn’t looking, but I shredded them so he couldn’t tell what they were.
When we sat down to dinner last night he said, “What is this?”
“Have you tasted them?”
“Try them first.”
“Wow! These are really good! What are they?”
“No! What are they really?”
“Brussel Sprouts! With garlic, brown sugar, and pecans.”
“You are so divorced.”
Ha! Too bad he already admitted to liking them! And when I mentioned maybe having them again sometime, he said that would be ok! Imagine that! And honestly, I was really surprised myself at how good these actually were!
- 12-14 large brussel sprouts
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch sea salt
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts
- Slice each brussel sprout into thin strips (kind of like if you were slicing an onion, go from the end to the tip)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the garlic for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the brussel sprouts and continue sauteeing for 4-5 minutes, or until bright green and tender.
- Add the sea salt and the brown sugar and toss together.
- Finish by adding the nuts and allow to toast for a minute or two.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 50mg Carbohydrates: 12g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g