This Wacky Cake recipe is a moist chocolate cake that dates back to World War 2. This chocolate cake is one that you need to keep in your back pocket because its so simple!
Chocolate Wacky Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup hot coffee or hot water
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In an uncreased loaf pan, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Create 3 wells or dents in the dry ingredients. Add the vegetable oil in one dent, the white vinegar in a second dent and the vanilla in the third dent.
- Pour the hot coffee or hot water over the ingredients in the pan and stir to combine.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Blackberry Icing:
- Pulse the blackberries in a blender until pureed.
- Pour the pureed blackberries in a bowl.
- Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla.
- Stir in the powdered sugar.
- Frost the completely cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles.
Keywords: Wacky Cake Recipe, ww2 recipe, historical recipe, easy cake recipe