Chickpea and arugula pitas are a quick and easy meatless meal that everyone can love! Fresh, bright flavors combine to create a simple but filling meal. Great for summer meals and quick lunches.
Try these other meatless meals:
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 TBSP fresh chopped mint
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 5/8 tsp salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 6 whole wheat pitas, halved
- 30 ounces organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 cups loosely packed arugula
- 12 tomato slices
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mint, lime juice, 1/8 tsp salt, garlic, and cucumber. Set aside.
- Pat the chickpeas dry with paper towels.
- Heat 2 TBSP oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chickpeas and sauté 10 minutes, or until lighty browned and crispy, stirring frequently.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl whisk the remaining 1 TBSP olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Add the arugula and toss gently.
- Add the chickpea mixture and toss.
- Fill each pita half with 2/3 cup chickpea mixture, 1 tomato slices (or more...) and 2 TBSP tzatziki sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 805Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 925mgCarbohydrates: 132gFiber: 24gSugar: 25gProtein: 36g
(Cooking Light, May 2013 )