Gallo Pinto is an easy and delicious breakfast from Costa Rica with loads of flavor! This easy 30 minute skillet meal uses a combination of leftovers and fresh produce to make a lovely meatless meal for any time of the day!
For the Rice and Beans:
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced (or a few sweet mini peppers – I used yellow and orange)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 ripe plaintains
- 3 TBS coconut oil
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Eggs:
- 4 Eggs
- 2 ripe Avocados, sliced or diced
- 3 Limes, cut into wedges
- 3 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced or diced
- Hot Sauce (optional)
Rice and Beans
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the bell pepper, and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and stir, about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the rice and black beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is heated through.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, warm the coconut oil.
- Slice the plantains into 1/2″ thick diagonal coins.
- Toss in the sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- When the oil is melted and hot, place the plantains in a single layer and cook until starting to turn brown and caramelized and soft (about 2-3 minutes).
- Flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove to a plate and tent with foil. Note – do NOT place them on a paper towel. They will stick!
Scramble or Fry the eggs.
Serve with garnishes and enjoy!