These buns are super fast to make – taking only about 40 minutes start to finish. They are soft and chewy and slightly dense. And they had great flavor! I might never buy store bought hamburger buns again, these were just so darn good and so darn easy! A few of them grew a couple of scraggy cracks in areas, but this will just showcase how awesome and homemade they are, right?
- 2 TBSP active dry yeast
- 1 cup + 2 TBSP warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- In a large bowl, stir the yeast into the warm water.
- Add the oil and sugar; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, salt, the whole wheat flour and enough of the all purpose flor to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 3-5 minutes).
- Divide into 6 pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place 3" apart on a greased baking sheet, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Optional: before placing the buns in the oven you can brush egg white on top and sprinkle some sesame seeds or dried onion flakes on top.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 409 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 403mg Carbohydrates: 62g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g