This Strawberry Mousse Tart Recipe is an easy dessert made with vanilla and thyme roasted strawberries. A perfect spring dessert to celebrate fresh, ripe strawberries!
- 15 oz (or 2 cups) strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
To Make the Roasted Strawberries:
- Preheat an oven to 400F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or a piece of parchment paper.
- Wash the strawberries and hull and slice in half.
- Place the strawberries on the baking sheet with the brown sugar, thyme sprigs, and vanilla pod and toss to mix.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Allow to cool to warm on the pan.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and vanilla pod.
- Follow directions for making the mousse below.
To Make the Shortcrust Pastry:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Cut in the cubed butter until it forms large pea sized pieces.
- Stir in the egg yolks and mix to combine. The crust will be crumbly still, but you should be able to press it together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, press to form a disc, and chill for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, roll the dough out into a circle that is 11″ wide.
- Press the dough into a tart pan or a pie plate.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough and place pie weights on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie weights and pierce the dough with a fork on the bottom.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
To Make Strawberry Mousse Filling:
- When the roasted strawberries are cooled slightly, place them in a large bowl.
- Puree the strawberries with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of gelatin over the strawberries and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream to peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the pureed strawberries.
- When the tart crust is cool, place the strawberry mousse into the tart crust and smooth to create an even layer.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Keywords: Strawberry Mousse, Strawberry Tart, Shortcrust Pastry, Spring Dessert