- 2 Acorn Squash, halved and seeded
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalk, chopped finely
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (macintosh)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut acorn squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and bake for 40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In a large sautee pan, melt the butter.
- Sauté the onion and celery for 5 minutes, until starting to become translucent.
- Add the sausage, sage, rosemary garlic, and salt and pepper to taste and cook until the sausage is browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the apples and cook 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and stir thoroughly.
- (At this point you can set the squash and the stuffing mix in the fridge until you are ready to bake.)
- Stuff the stuffing into the cavities of the acorn squash.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Grate Parmesan cheese on top of each half and bake another 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 469 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 67mg Sodium: 1224mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 9g Protein: 20g