– chicken pieces thighs and legs (bone in and skin on)
– 100% hydration sourdough starter discard
– 1 egg
– beer (pale ale or pilsner)
– brown sugar
– chili powder
– dried thyme
– garlic powder
– cayenne pepper
– smoked paprika
– black pepper
– Oil for frying canola (4-6" deep in your skillet)
6. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes until the oil heats (this will help the coating to adhere to the chicken and become crisper, without it your chicken may be soggy and the coating will easily separate from the chicken).
2. Set out a clean wire rack over a different baking sheet (this will keep the underside of the chicken from getting soggy the way it does on paper towels. Don’t return it to the first rack, it will risk contamination from the raw chicken bacteria).
3. Cook chicken in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side (make sure to only fry a few at a time to avoid overcrowding the pot). Internal tempertuare of the chicken should be 165 F.