Homemade Slow Cooker Tomato Tortellini Soup with Basil is creamy and delicious with a minimum amount of prep-work and a maximum amount of comfort!
Jenni Ward/The Gingered Whisk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Nothing says “comforting meal” during the fall and winter like a big bowl of soup. But often soups and stews take about an hour to make from start to finish, and busy weeknights make it hard to fit that in.
Enter the crock pot!! Dumping everything in the slow cooker in the morning and having an easy dinner ready for you is literally a huge life saver – especially when you are having to hustle between school and evenings activities.
I wanted to create an easy tomato basil soup in the slow cooker and make it almost effortless. A lot of recipes call for finely chopping your veggies before you add them into the crock pot – but honesty, who has time to do that?
The morning hours are crazy enough without having to wake up 30 minutes early so you can perfectly dice your veggies.
Another method some people recommend is to rough chop things in the morning, and then use a blender before you serve to make your soup as smooth as silk.
This sounds awesome in theory, but have you ever tried to blend boiling hot soup with small children attached to your hip? Maybe its just me, but seriously – this is a recipe for disaster. I always make a giant mess, and I always fling soup the temperature of lava all over my clothes, my counters, and the kitchen rug (it used to be white, by the way. It’s not anymore).
No, thank you!
My easy solution —- use a food processor like a Magic Bullet!! Using the chop or puree setting to finely dice your onions, celery and carrots into tiny pieces not only cuts down on all that prep work, but it also makes the blending unnecessary.
The nice thing about this is you can also make the veggies as finely diced, or pureed, as you want with just a few pushes of a button.
Then right before you eat, make a quick roux to help thicken up your soup and give you a nice consistency – add a few more ingredients and you are ready to eat! Homemade Tomato Tortellini Soup with a small amount of work, and the max amount of flavor!
Love this recipe? Try this Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
There’s nothing I love more than seeing you make my recipes! If you make this Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup, don’t forget to leave a comment below and rate the recipe!
And don’t forget to subscribe to the email list to get all the extra tips, tricks and bonuses!
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- fresh parmesan or shredded italian cheese blend
- Use a food processor to finely dice/puree the onion, carrot and celery (you may have to do these separately depending on the size of your food processor).
- Place the pureed veggies into the crock pot along with the tomatoes chicken broth.
- Put the lid on and allow to cook for 7 hours on low.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until well combined, and continue to whisk for 1 minute.
- Take out about 1.5 cups of the hot stock out of the crock pot and slowly, 1/4 cup of a time, whisk into the flour in the skillet. Whisk one addition completely in before adding the next 1/4 cup.
- When all the stock has been added, allow to cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Transfer this into the crock pot and add the cheese tortellini with the oregano and salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on and allow to cook for about 15 minutes more.
- Stir in the fresh chopped basil before serving.
- Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese or shredded italian cheeses.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 1284mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 10g Protein: 8g
Love Slow Cooker Recipes? These Recipes BELONG in your meal plan!