Let’s talk breakfast. Raise your hand if you actually eat breakfast every day.
Yup, that’s what I thought.
Oh man, I used to be the kind of person who would fix a lovely breakfast every single day. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, pancakes – everyday I had something warm and filling to get me through the morning. But since having two kids in school and attempting to get out of the door at a specific time every day of the week, I have totally
slacked failed on that. Now more often than not I just grab a protein shake to chug on the 2 minute drive to the elementary school.
I know, its pretty terrible, but that’s about all I have been making time for anymore.
Have you seen the pictures of those gorgeous smoothie bowls that are so hot right now? You make a smoothie, and then instead of sucking it through a straw you pour it into a bowl and artfully decorate it with #allthethings until it resembles a work of art. They are vibrant and beautiful, buuuut when it comes down to it, you are eating cold soup for breakfast. And you are making a ton of dirty dishes. And it takes forever to create and arrange. I’m sorry, but I just don’t have time for that. Maybe if I was a cute 20-something again with no kids and I wasn’t worried about how many dirty dishes I made. But I am no longer in that season of life. I need faaaaaast and easy for breakfast.
But this dirty chai parfait takes literally 2 minutes to create, but it still feels lovely and gorgeous. The secret is creating a super flavorful chai spice mix and combining it with almond butter, maple syrup and a shot of cold espresso (or cold coffee). Pour that over protein packed vanilla greek yogurt and top it with a crunchy raisins, dates and pecans granola based cereal from Post Great Grains, sliced bananas and sliced almonds. And magically, breakfast transforms from hurriedly gulping down “something” into to a treat you want to savor.
Dirty Chai Yogurt Parfait
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP cold espresso or strong cold coffee
- 2 TBPS room temperature almond butter
- 1 tsp spice mix from above
- ¼ cup Post Great Grains Raisins Dates and Pecans Cereal
- 2 TBSP sliced almonds
- ½ a banana sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the spices of the spice mix and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the maple syrup and cold espresso (or strong coffee) and set aside.
- Combine 1 tsp of the spice mix with 2 TBSP of almond butter.
- Place the geek yogurt in a bowl and top with the maple/espresso, the spiced almond butter, the cereal, sliced banana and almonds.
Looking for other awesome and easy breakfasts?