Sometimes you need something so chocolatey, decadent and amazing that you feel like you want to hide in the corner of the kitchen and stuff your face while no one can see you, with no guilt or judgement at all.
But then other times you want to be conscious of what you are eating – you want to make sure you are eating your vegetables, limiting your sugar intake, and trying to be healthy.
What’s a girl to do?
Now you can have both – moist, decadent, super chocolatey muffins that should really qualify as dessert instead of breakfast! And they also happen to be full of shredded zucchini, super healthy coconut oil, and contain no butter, oil, or sugar! Say what?!
These ultra moist and decadent double chocolate zucchini muffins scream dessert, but they are secretly healthy! No one will ever guess!
These muffins are like magic. The combination of applesauce, coconut oil and the zucchini work together to create these ultra moist muffins that have the texture of a cupcake instead of a super bready muffin. And that zucchini? It magically disappears. Even the pickiest of eaters will not be able to find a single shredded green thing in their breakfast. And if you want them to be extra healthy, swap out the all purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour!
Trust me, no one will know these are actually healthy! And you won’t have to feel guilty when you hide in the corner and devour them all. Just make sure to clean up the crumbs, ok?
Love a good Muffin recipe? (me, too!) Try these flavorful muffins:
- Limelight Blueberry Muffins – The muffin itself is light and fluffy, and the juicy pop of blueberries and tang of the lime is just divine.
- Cinnamon, Date, and Walnut Muffins – Hearty and delicious, these muffins are a real treat to eat, especially warmed with a slight smear of butter!
- Coconut Spice Zucchini Muffins – These zucchini muffins are spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and studded with sweet coconut.
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins – These pumpkin cream cheese muffins blur the line between breakfast and dessert. Moist, sweet and spicy, and a cream cheese surprise hidden in the middle is almost frosting like.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins – These Cranberry Orange Muffins are the perfect fall recipe. They are dense yet moist at the same time. The tartness from the cranberries and the oranges is such an awesome combination, and is offset perfectly by the sweetness of the cinnamon crumb topping.
- Banana, Honey and Date Muffins – Moist and flavorful, with just a bit of natural sweetness from the honey and dates.
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBSP pure coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg white
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners.
Shred the zucchini and then squeeze it inside a paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture. This is important! Do not skip this step!!
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the coconut oil, honey, vanilla, egg, and egg whites on medium speed until smooth and well combined.
Add in the zucchini, applesauce and milk and mix again.
Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin liners.
Bake fro 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then move the muffins to a wire rack to continue cooling.