Sometimes you need something so chocolatey, decadent and amazing that you feel like you want to hide in the corner of the kitchen and stuff your face while no one can see you, with no guilt or judgement at all.
But then other times you want to be conscious of what you are eating – you want to make sure you are eating your vegetables, limiting your sugar intake, and trying to be healthy.
What’s a girl to do?
Now you can have both – moist, decadent, super chocolatey muffins that should really qualify as dessert instead of breakfast! And they also happen to be full of shredded zucchini, super healthy coconut oil, and contain no butter, oil, or sugar! Say what?!
These ultra moist and decadent double chocolate zucchini muffins scream dessert, but they are secretly healthy! No one will ever guess!
These muffins are like magic.
The combination of applesauce, coconut oil and the zucchini work together to create these ultra moist muffins that have the texture of a cupcake instead of a super bready muffin.
And that zucchini? It magically disappears. Even the pickiest of eaters will not be able to find a single shredded green thing in their breakfast.
Trust me, no one will know these are actually healthy! And you won’t have to feel guilty when you hide in the corner and devour them all. Just make sure to clean up the crumbs, ok?
Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dark cocoa flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 TBSP pure coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup shredded zucchini about 1 medium
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners.
- Shred the zucchini and then squeeze it inside a paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture. This is important! Do not skip this step!! You need to get the extra moisture out or your batter will be too wet.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the coconut oil, honey, vanilla, egg, and egg whites on medium speed until smooth and well combined.
- Add in the zucchini, applesauce and milk and mix again.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin liners.
- Bake fro 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then move the muffins to a wire rack to continue cooling.