This is by far my absolute favorite way to eat chicken. This baked chicken recipe is super moist, and super tasty, the skin is gorgeously browned, and the sauce is amazing. It’s easy to prepare, too, and it looks as fantastic as it tastes.
You only need 5 ingredients for the sauce and no marinating, either!
This baked chicken dish is great whether you have company coming over for a dinner party or you are just cooking for your family.
How to make honey baked chicken
This baked chicken recipe is easy to make! For the full directions, please scroll down to the recipe page, but here is how you generally make it:
- Whisk together only 5 ingredients for the sauce.
- Arrange the chicken pieces into a large baking dish.
- pour the sauce over the chicken and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Every 15 minutes, baste the chicken with the sauce.
Don’t be scared of the mustard and curry powder combination in the sauce. You don’t really taste either addition by themselves, but they combine with the honey and melted butter beautifully to create a luxurious sauce for the chicken.
Can a baked chicken recipe be luxurious? I’m going with it. Be brave enough to try this chicken and you will become fast friends forever!
Tips for making the Best Baked Chicken
- Make sure you use a pan big enough to have some space between each thigh. You want there to be enough room for the hot air from the oven to circulate and cook the chicken.
- Make sure your baking dish has sides to keep all the juices and marinade in.
How do you bake juicy chicken?
If you need a great veggie side dish that you can cook in the oven along with this chicken, I highly recommend my Garlic Roasted Zucchini! Its as simple as dumping stuff in a pan and letting it cook! You will need to let it cook a few minutes extra if you have both the chicken and the zucchini in the oven together, but it will still turn out to be one fabulous meal!
Honey Baked Chicken
This Honey Baked Chicken recipe is perfect for dinner parties or an average weeknight dinner. Easy and delicious and everyone will love it!
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 lb chicken (legs, thighs, or any combo of chicken with skin and bone still attached)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, honey, mustard, salt and curry.
- Arrange chicken pieces into a baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes, basting the chicken with the sauce every 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 873Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 334mgSodium: 881mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 76g
Thursday 10th of November 2022
Should it be covered with foil while baking?
Monday 14th of November 2022
Nope, it doesn't need foil on top, unless you start noticing that it is getting really dark on top! The chicken skin will crisp and get dark in some places, but it doesn't need foil unless it looks like its close to burning.
Friday 20th of November 2020
I see Garam Masala instead of Curry powder and it was wonderful. Thank you!
Saturday 7th of March 2020
Have you ever used boneless chicken. Thank you
Friday 13th of March 2020
Hi Jeanne! I have not used boneless chicken in this particular recipe before. You could use boneless, skinless thighs here instead but you will need to shorten the cooking time.It will probably only take 20-25 minutes, but you will have to watch it and check the temperature with a thermometer! If you try it, let me know how it goes!
Julie @ Bunsen Burner Bakery
Monday 21st of March 2016
Ummm... this sounds AMAZING. I'm not a big chicken fan, but I will absolutely be trying this soon. Only a few more weeks until my little guy can eat honey!
Tuesday 22nd of December 2015
Made this tonight and it was delicious. It wasn't crispy and dark like in the picture but none the less delicious. We did use chicken breast instead of thighs or legs.