Cheesy Beef Enchilada Casserole is an easy and delicious recipe for weeknight dinners when you want enchiladas without all the work! Layers of tortillas, plenty of cheese, and a flavorful ground beef and beans combine together into winning weeknight meal! Serve with your favorite toppings and plenty of chips!
So, funny story. While I was making this, I suddenly noticed that my little helper wasn't helping. In fact, she was nowhere to be seen. And the house was deadly silent. If you are a mom, or a babysitter, you know this is BAD news! A quick search of the house found Ladybug quietly playing in her room. I snuck a little closer to see what she was doing, since she was leaning up against the rocker chair we have, and noticed that she was playing with Scout. Then I noticed that my darling girl had managed to find a box of Jello. Strawberry Jello. And not only had she found it, she had opened it, opened the bag, and was generously sprinkling the contents all over Scout, who was frantically licking up all the powdery goodness he could get. The pink powdery goodness. On the white chair.
Luckily even though inside I was squealing "EEEEEKKKKK" I managed to calmly say "What are you doing Baby Girl? Are you playing with Scout? Here, let's clean this up, ok?" I then turned off the stovetop, got out the vacuum, and cleaned up, and then went back to dinner. In hindsight, I should have taken a picture, because there really was a mountain of Jello powder on Scout.
Cooking with Kids: Get your kids in the kitchen
Having your kids help you in the kitchen is a great way to get them interested in the food you have for dinner. Here are some easy ways you can have them help you in the kitchen:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure ingredients and set the table.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help you stir the ingredients and create the layers in the baking dish, chop the cilantro.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you cut the tomatoes and slice the avocado.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Love a good Tex-Mex inspired casserole? Try these family friendly weeknight recipes:
- Mexican Casserole - A family favorite and weeknight perfect meal, this comforting and creamy casserole recipe is sure to please!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 10oz can enchilada sauce
- 4- 8" whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half,
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over meidum-high heat
- Add beef and onion to pan, and cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently to crumble.
- Add butter to the pan and sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly.
- Add in the beef broth, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ½ cup of the tomato mixture and reserve for later.
- Grease a 9" baking dish.
- Place a tortilla in the pie plate.
- Top with 1 cup of the beef mixtutre.
- Repeat hte layers, ending with a tortilla.
- Spread the reserved tomato mixture over the top tortila.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, and then cut into 6 servings.
- Top with favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 694Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 1156mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 38g