These sourdough cookies are a perfect use for your sourdough discard! Called "Kitchen Sink" cookies because they are packed with all the good things - chocolate chips, walnuts, and dried fruit, these soft and cakey cookies have a slight sourdough tang.
I've been having a lot of fun playing with my sourdough starter, and not just baking bread. I really wanted to try making cookies with them, but I was not happy at all with the recipes I was finding online. They either looked like hard little biscuit cookies (blerg), or they were packed with crisco. I know cookies aren't exactly healthy, but I kinda get grossed out by putting crisco into them. You might as well inject it right into my thighs.
Since I wasn't finding what I wanted, the only thing to do was to create my own. So, I made my recipe, and I LOVE how it turned out! These cookies are soft and chewy and cakey, with a slight tang from the sourdough, sweet-tartness from the dried fruit. Also try Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies!
You might also like:
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces chips (white chocolate or milk chocolate)
- 1 cup dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, or a blend)
- Preheat oven to 400 degree.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Turn the mixer off, and with a wooden spoon gently mix in your starter until combined.
- Add the egg (you can turn your mixer back on now) and the vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the mixer, until just combined.
- Fold in your nuts, chips and fruit.
- Place by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet 1" apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g