These Banana Date Muffins are sweetned with honey and applesauce. They are a tender and flavorful breakfast your kids will love!
These banana date muffins are an easy treat to make ahead. Great for breakfasts, after school snacks, or anytime you need a little something to eat.
They come together like a normal banana muffin, but they are extra special because:
- They are extra moist from applesauce!
- They are naturally sweetened with honey and sprinkled with just a touch of brown sugar on top.
- Flavored with cardamom and cinnamon, they have a fun and unique spice to them that compliments the dates perfectly!
These banana date muffins are so great for kids because you can use them for and quick breakfast or an easy snack. And they are easy enough that kids can help bake them, too!
How to Make Banana Date Muffins
This recipe is very simple to make! Here is a brief overview of the recipe to give you an idea of how it works. For the full set of directions and measurements, please make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below!
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Prepare a muffin pan by greasing the wells or using paper liners.
Make the batter
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cardamom.
- In large mixing bowl bowl, mash the bananas.
- Then whisk in the honey, eggs, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and gently fold in until just combined.
- Stir in dates.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 prepared muffin wells, about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center one comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan.
These muffins will store well in a covered container on the counter for up to 4 days.
They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
How kids can help you bake these muffins
These muffins are great for kids to bake! Inviting kids into the kitchen with you is a great way for them to be more confident in the kitchen and more curious about what you are eating. Here is how your kids can be involved:
This muffin recipe is great because it is so simple and there are few steps.
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure the ingredients, mash the bananas and stir together the batter.
- Kids aged 4-6 can do everything above plus crack the eggs, and chop the dates (with supervision.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you do everything above.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below! Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Banana Date Muffins Recipe
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped and pitted dates
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas.
- Whisk in the honey, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just barely combined. Do not over stir. Its ok to have little pockets of flour left.
- Stir in the chopped dates.
- Fill all 12 muffin wells evenly, about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until done.