Cocadas are coconut treats from Latin America. These soft, chewy coconut mounds are mixed with dulche de leche and studded with macadamia nuts. Cocadas are like macaroons, but much better!
When it comes to desserts, I love big, awesome flavors. BUT with 3 young kids in tow and a busy schedule, recipes that are easy take priority. This cocadas recipe is perfect for when you are short on time but need something impressive. Epic but easy is always the way to go!
These cocadas are the perfect dessert to serve when hosting (or attending) a Mexican themed dinner party! They are a fun cross between a Mexican coconut cookies and a coconut candy recipe. Slightly crispy on the outside, soft and gooey inside and tons of caramely-coconuty flavor!
They are kid-friendly, easy to make, store really well, and everyone will enjoy them!
And speaking of Dinner Parties!!!! These Mexican Coconut Candies are the first part of a fun new collaboration I am doing with Erin from Speckled Palate. Erin is the QUEEN of making entertaining easy, and we wanted to join forces to help you entertain more!
Because being a parent of young kids is tough, and tiring, and while it is also amazing, it can feel really lonely sometimes. Between the two of us, we have 5 kiddos aged 9 and under. We know busy. We know tired. But we also know that there is nothing more rejuvenating and fulfilling than spending time with your friends.
The Lonely Parents Guide to Dinner Parties is aimed at doing just that – helping you make entertaining easy – even with young kids, even with crazy busy schedules. See the complete guide on how to make a weeknight mexican dinner party easy – complete with timetables, printable shopping lists, activities for kids and more!
Looking for other Epically Easy Desserts? Try these:
- Fresh Strawberry Cake is the easiest cake you can make, but so deliicous!
- Spiced Blood Orange Puff Pastry Pinwheels are insanely easy, but addictively good!
- Peanut Butter Popcorn is the perfect dessert to take to game night, movie night, and more! Great for sharing, but so good you won’t want to!
Easy Cocadas Recipe
This easy cocadas recipe is so perfect to use when you need to make a sweet treat that is easy and quick!
What makes this recipe super fun is that you only need THREE ingredients – and you can use an entire package of each one – so no leftover ingredients! With a bag of shredded coconut, a can of dulce de leche, and a small bag of macademia nuts, you can create cocadas mexicanas!
How to make Cocadas
Cocadas are totally kid friendly on their own! These sweet and chewy coconut candies are perfect for packing into lunch boxes, taking on picnics, or taking to a dinner party!
They are so easy to make, too!
- Open a 14 ounce bag of shredded coconut and dump into a bowl.
- Open a 13.4 ounce can of dulce de leche and pour into the same bowl.
- Chop a 2 oz package of macadamia nuts and dump into the same bowl.
- Using a study wooden spoon, stir the ingredients together until they are well mixed.
- Using a cookie scoop (or 2 TBSP at a time), form about 24 balls and place 1″ apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 15 minutes. Then cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
How to prep cocadas ahead of time
These Cocadas mexicanas are really easy to make ahead of time! They can be stored at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 4 days, making this easy to fit into your schedule no matter how busy you are!
If you can’t find dulce de leche in your local store (check in the baking aisle where the sweetened condensed milk is kept), you can make your own homemade dulce de leche in the slow cooker!
Kids in the Kitchen: How Your Kids Can Help You Cook
Getting your kids in the kitchen is an amazing way to help them be more interested in trying new foods and confident in their own abilities. This cocadas recipe is great because it helps them learn to use cookie scoops and they get practice their stirring and scooping. This recipe is perfect for beginner cooks because it is so easy! And it is a great recipe for kids to experiment and become more comfortable with new flavors – which means they are more likely to eat it!
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you pour the coconut into the mixing bowl.
- Kids aged 4-6 can do everything above, plus help you scoop the cocadas onto the baking sheet.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you do everything above, plus help you chop the macademia nuts and stir the batter (its really thick, so you will need strong arms to do it!)
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below! Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Easy Cocadas Recipe - Mexican Coconut Candies
- 14 oz bag shredded coconut or 5 1/3 cups
- 13.4 oz dulce de leche
- 2 oz macadamia nuts chopped (or 1/2 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mxing bowl, combine the shredded coconut, dulce de leche and chopped macademia nuts.
- Using a sturdy wooden spoon, mix until well combined. It will be thick, keep mixing until it is all combined.
- With a medium cookie scoop (or using 2 TBSP at a time), form roughtly 24 balls.
- Place the cocadas 1" apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until starting to become golden. They will not be completely firm.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Check out the Mexican coconut candies recipe story.