These easy orange puff pastry pinwheels are an easy dessert recipe for when you want something delicious without a lot of fuss. Spiced with orange zest, cinnamon and a little cayenne pepper, these pinwheels are drizzled with a beautifully pink blood orange glaze. Inspired by the Sun Spears from House Martell, this Game of Thrones recipe is perfect for your next viewing party!
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from Melissa’s Produce to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions, recipe, and photographs are mine.
Winter Spring is Coming!
And with it, the final season of Game of Thrones!
At our house, we cannot be more excited! Each night after we tuck our girls into bed, we have been rewatching all the previous seasons to get ready. And secretly planning a ridiculously geeky Game of Thrones watching meal for the upcoming premiere!
I wanted to make a fun and special treat to celebrate, and when Melissa’s Produce sent me some beautiful blood oranges and inspiration struck! Blood oranges are famous because their juice is such a bright and vibrant red color. It does kind of remind you of blood. And there’s no bloodier show than Game of Thrones. And puff pastry pinwheels kind of remind me of the sun.. sooo.. a puff pastry pin wheel made with blood oranges spiked with a little hidden heats makes me think of House Martell and the Sand Snakes! Pretend you follow my train of thought here, ok?
These puff pastry pinwheels (or suns) are so easy to make, so there is no excuse not to have them ready for your next viewing party. Flakey and buttery puff pastry is twirled around orange sugar spiced with cinnamon and a tiny bit of heat – because sweet with a little bit of heat is the name of the game here.
Want to make other fun Game of Thrones inspired recipes? Try these:
How to Make Blood Orange Danish Puff Pastry Swirls
These Blood Orange Puff Pastry Pinwheels are so quick and simple to make! They do make a fair amount of sugary mess, so I recommend doing this over a piece of parchment paper or on a baking sheet.
- Make the orange sugar by rubbing orange zest into the sugar with your fingers. This really releases the oils in the blood orange and helps infuse the sugar with all that great orange flavor!
- Stir the cinnamon and optional cayenne pepper into the orange sugar.
- Roll out your puff pastry into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle the orange sugar over the puff pastry and use the rolling pin to press it into the puff pastry.
- Use a pizza wheel or a sharp knife to slice the pastry into 7 thick slices vertically.
- Slice each of the strips in half, and layer the two thinner strips on top of each other, with the orange sugar facing inwards.
- Press the ends of the two twists together and then twist the strips together.
- Roll the twisted strips of puff pastry into a spiral, like a snail shell. Tuck the loose end under.
- Place the swirls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a sit-pat and allow to chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 14-18minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown.
How Your Kids Can Help You Bake
These Orange Puff Pastries are perfect for kids to help you make! Warning – They ARE messy, but they are messy even without kids, so just go for it! Remember, its about the memories, not the perfection! Here are some great age appropriate ways to get your kids in the kitchen with you:
- Kids aged 1 to 3 can help you measure everything, sprinkle the orange sugar on the puff pastry.
- Kids aged 4 to 6 can help do everything above, and help roll out the puff pastry, zest the orange, and create the orange sugar.
- Kids aged 7 to 10+ can help do everything above, plus twist the puff pastry spirals.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Spring Sweets Week
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2019 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! What better way to celebrate the coming of spring than with food and a fun giveaway? 30 bloggers from around the country have come together to share over 100 sweet recipes perfect for spring! Get ready to ditch your hats, coats, and snow boots and get ready for some delicious sweet treats like cupcakes, cookies, sweet breads, and cocktails! Our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much Swiss Diamond, Dixie Crystals, Nancy’s Yogurt, Sprinkle Pop, Adams Extracts, Barleans, Melissa’s Produce, and PEEPS® for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and would love if you would take a moment to read about it and what you can win!
Orange puff pastry pinwheels are an easy dessert for when you want something delicious & easy. Inspired by Game of Thrones House Martell.
1 box puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1 large blood orange
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Zest and juice 1 blood orange. Set each aside in separate bowls.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange zest and sugar. Use your fingers to press the two together and really rub the orange zest into the sugar.
- Stir in the cinnamon and optional cayenne pepper, if using. Remove 1 Tablespoon and set aside for after baking.
- Roll the puff pastry sheets into large rectangles about 3mm thick.
- Spread half of the remaining orange sugar over each puff pastry sheet.
- Use a rolling pin to gently press the orange sugar into the puff pastry sheet.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 7 vertical strips about 1″ wide.
- Cut each 1″ wide strip in half vertically.
- Fold the half strips over each other so the sugary sides face each other.
- Press the ends together and twist together to form a rope.
- Twist and roll the rope around itself to form a snail shell pinwheel shape.
- Tuck the loose end under neath.
- Place the pinwheels on the prepared baking sheet and place in the fridge to chill while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Make the blood orange glaze by whisking together the blood orange juice and 2.5 cups of powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled puff pastry pinwheels and sprinkle the remaining orange sugar on top.
Keywords: Puff Pastry Recipe, Blood Orange, Game of Thrones Recipe
Tuesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Bird’s Nest Thumbprint Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Brownie & Ice Cream Peeps Pops by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Caramel Walnut French Toast Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chick’s Nests (aka Haystacks) by Books n’ Cooks
- Chocolate Coconut Toasted Granola by Cooking With Carlee
- Classic Banana Pudding Parfaits by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Cottage Cheese Jello Salad by House of Nash Eats
- Easy Coconut Sheet Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Fresh Key Lime Pie by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Lemon Daisy Tartlets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Monster Cookie Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Orange Vanilla Creme Baked Donuts by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Orange Creme Smoothie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Orange Ricotta Cake by The Tip Garden
- PEEPS Easter Bunny Vanilla cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Small Batch Double Lemon Cupcakes by Family Around the Table
- Spring Snack Mix by Sweet Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Cookie Sweet Rolls with Oatmilk Yogurt Frosting by The Baking Fairy
- Whipped Yogurt Fruit Tart by The Crumby Kitchen
- White Chocolate Popcorn with Sprinkles by Creative Southern Home
- Yogurt Parfait with Barlean’s Orange Creme by Our Good Life
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.