These Fresh Cranberry Scones with Candied Ginger are easy to make and taste perfectly fall. With candied ginger and tart, fresh cranberries, these scones are the perfect afternoon treat.
I am glad to say that all our presents are wrapped and under the tree. I have started making cookies (recipes to come, probably in the New Year). I really want to make these awesome double chocolate candy cane cookies I found at Love from the Oven, but wouldn’t you know it that every time I go to the store these last few days (which, admittedly, has been every day) I keep forgetting to buy candy canes! Dang it! I’m sure I will go to the store again, so hopefully I can remember to get everything next time!
|I think the inside of a cranberry is the coolest and weirdest thing I have seen in a long time! They look like little hearts, don’t they? An anatomical heart, not a Valentine.
These scones would be perfect for right now. The juicy cranberries and spicy candied ginger are not only wonderfully seasonal, but they pair perfectly together. They are also fairly easy to put together (I always seem to have trouble with scones for some reason), and I think you would be very happy if you could find time to make them this week! Either as a relaxing treat for you (sit down with a scone and a cup of tea for a little bit!) or even as a special breakfast for family this week.
Love Scones? Try these:
- Apple Cheddar Bacon Scones – These tener flaky scones boast copious amounts of fresh apples, applewood smoked bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and a hint of fresh rosemary to make a lovely addition to any tea, breakfast, or dinner table.
- Gingered Pear and Cranberry Scones with Brown Butter Glaze – These scones are hearty and flavorful.
- Earl Grey Lavender Scones – These scones are perfect for a fancy tea party.
There’s nothing I love more than seeing you make my recipes! If you make this treat, don’t forget to leave a comment below and rate the recipe!
And if you are on Instagram, tag @thegingeredwhisk and use the hashtag #gingeredwhisk on social media when you make my recipes so that I can share them and maybe even feature you. Follow along to get the latest updates:
And don’t forget to subscribe to the email list to get all the extra tips, tricks and bonuses!
Want to save this for later? PIN THIS TO YOUR DESSERTS BOARD on Pinterest!
Cranberry and Ginger Scones Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter cut into cubes and chilled
- 1 heaping cup of coarsely chopped cranberries
- ½ cup coarsley chopped candied ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy cream cold
- extra cream and sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cold butter and quickly work the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is about the size of peas.
- Toss in the cranberries and ginger and set the bowl in the fridge for a minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the cream mixture all at once to the flour/butter mixture and stir as quickly as you can with as few strokes as you can to fully incorporate everything together.
- Dump the shaggy mass out onto a floured surface and work together, kneading lightly, into a 1 1/2 inch thick disk.
- Cut the disk into 6 wedges.
- Place the wedges 2 inches apart on the baking sheet, brush with a bit of cream and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes until just cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving warm.