This Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry is not only super healthy; it is so easy to make and packed with so much flavor! Best of all, it’s ready in less than 20 minutes!
Today is my official due date, and the start of my Maternity Leave. I am totally writing this ahead of time, so I don’t even know if when you see this I will have had a baby yet or not. But what I do know is that you are going to LOVE this recipe! I get requests for more seafood recipes ALL THE TIME (which is funny because we aren’t really big seafood eaters. As in, I have never ever cooked anything remotely “seafood” in my home. Ever. So I am super excited that my friend Char from Wok and Skillet is here today with this easy, healthy, and fast recipe for Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using the links provided, I receive a small commission which helps me maintain this blog and continue to bring you more awesome weeknight family recipes. If you would like more information on this you can read more on my Disclosure Page. Thank you so much for supporting me and my blog!
Shrimp is one of my absolute favorite foods to stir-fry. They cook in no time at all, and taste fantastic by themselves yet can take on just about any sauce you pair it with. Add asparagus to the mix and you have yourself a very healthy and oh so flavorful dish.
The shrimp are perfectly cooked and the asparagus is very slightly charred to give it depth of flavor. I absolutely love the textures of this dish as well – the shrimp are so succulent while the asparagus is crunchy. Enjoy over steamed white or brown rice for a complete meal!
The key to any good stir-fry is having all of your ingredients ready before you fire up the wok. Prepare the sauce by combining 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, ½ teaspoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon sesame oil and a dash of pepper. Mix it well.
Aside from the sauce, you will need 8 – 10 large shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail on if desired, ½ pound of asparagus (ends trimmed and stalk cut into bite-sized pieces), ½ a thumb of thinly sliced ginger and ½ a small onion (sliced).
Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat. As soon as the wok starts to smoke a little, add the shrimp. Allow one side of the shrimp to cook for about 30 seconds before stir-frying. When the shrimp is half-way cooked, stir in half of the prepared sauce. Continue to stir-fry until the shrimp is cooked, then remove them from the wok. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp!
Add a touch more oil if needed, then toss the asparagus into the wok. The asparagus will take a bit longer to cook; about 3 – 4 minutes. When stir-frying the asparagus, you don’t have to keep the spatula moving constantly. Give it some time between each stir to allow the heat of the wok to char the asparagus very slightly.
As soon as the asparagus is cooked, add the ginger and the onion. Continue to stir-fry until the onions start to turn translucent and slightly soft. Add the remaining sauce.
Return the shrimp to the wok and give everything a final good stir to combine all of the ingredients.
Enjoy with a bowl of steamed white or brown rice.
Interested in adding more Asian flavors to your weeknight meals but not sure how to make it actually doable? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Asian Cuisine for easy tips and recipes that are weeknight and kid-friendly and will help your weeknight meals be a win!
The form you have selected does not exist.
For the Stir Fry
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail-on
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed, stalks cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4-6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 thumb ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Dash of pepper
- Prepare the sauce by combining soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and pepper in a medium mixing bowl, whisking until smooth.
- Heat 4 tablespoons cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat. As soon as the wok starts to smoke a little, add the shrimp. Allow one side of the shrimp to cook for about 30 seconds before stir-frying.
- When shrimp is half-way cooked, stir in half of the sauce. Stir-fry till shrimp is cooked, then remove from the wok.
- Add a splash of cooking oil into the wok if needed, then toss in the asparagus. Stir-fry for 3 - 4 minutes, allowing the asparagus to char slightly.
- As soon as the asparagus is cooked, add the ginger and onion. When onion starts to turn translucent, add the remaining sauce.
- Return the shrimp to the wok; give everything a good stir to combine all ingredients.
- Enjoy over steamed rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 1599mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g
Love this recipe? Make sure you head on over to Wok and Skillet and check out Char’s other simple and delicious Asian recipes! AND check out her amazing cookbook The Healthy Wok (I own this, and its amazing!!)
Check out the Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry story.