This slow cooker chocolate mole chicken tacos recipe is perfect weeknight recipe with tons of flavor but without a lot of work! Your whole family will love this easy weeknight meal featuring dark chocolate in a unique savory chocolate recipe!
“Thank you to Forte’ Chocolates for sponsoring this post. And Thank you for supporting the brands that support me and allow me to continue to grow my blog. All opinions, recipe and photographs are my own. This is one of my favorite weeks of the year, because #Choctoberfest is finally here! From now until the end of the week, I am joining forces with over 100 other bloggers from around the world to post delicious chocolate recipes. Every day, #Choctoberfest bloggers will be celebrating all things chocolate – milk, dark, white, bittersweet, semi-sweet, and cocoa!
There was no question about it. When I thought about creating 3 unique recipes with chocolate I KNEW I had to create recipes for easy weeknight meals! Savory chocolate recipes?! Heck. Yes.
I really wanted to show the versatility that chocolate has – its not just for desserts, and it works amazingly well for dinner! For these chicken mole tacos I used the 71% Dark Chocolate that Forte Chocolate sent me. Its full body taste really accented the spices and flavor of the easy mole sauce.
Slow Cooker Mole Chicken Tacos
This mole chicken recipe is perfect for a fast weeknight meal! Because these are slow cooker chicken tacos, the majority of the work is done for you. All you have to do is prep the sauce in the morning by pureeing together the ingredients and then dumping it over the chicken in the slow cooker. You could even prepare the sauce at night to make morning prep that much faster. When its time to eat, just pull out your toppings, shred your chicken, and you are ready to eat! I love that this chicken mole recipe is flavorful like a traditional slow cooked sauce tastes, but it is kid friendly and super easy to make, which means its the perfect family meal!
How do you make Mole sauce?
Traditionally, mole sauce is a thick and velvety sauce made with over 20 ingredients (mostly spices), and can take a several hours to create the thick and velvety sauce that is served with chicken or turkey. I shortened the cooking time by using a slow cooker and by pureeing some of the ingredients ahead of time (I don’t know about you, but I am always nervous about pureeing hot liquids!). I also made this chocolate mole sauce kid-friendly by replacing a lot of the peppers with smoked paprika and other pantry staples to make a flavorful but not spicy-hot mole sauce recipe that the whole family will love.
What does Mole sauce taste like?
This gravy like sauce is a smokey, spicy sauce with a subtle chocolate flavor. It is one of those recipes where everyone’s grandmother has their own “perfect” recipe for it – so flavor profiles can have slight differences, but mostly its a complex flavored sauce with lots of flavor and silky chocolate undertones.
How Your Kids Can Cook Mole Chicken Tacos With You:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure the ingredients, and set the table.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help do everything above, plus help you prepare the mole sauce and shred the chicken, chop the cilantro, and crumble the cheese.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help do everything above, plus slice the onions and radishes.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
The form you have selected does not exist.
- 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 15 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained of liquids
- 1/4 cup pepitas, unsalted and roasted
- 1 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 2 oz dark chocolate or 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
For Taco Assembly:
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1/2 cup Cotija Cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Lime, sliced into sections
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- In a food processor, combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, tomato paste, raisins, diced tomatoes (drained of juices), pipits, chili powder, cinnamon, oregano, cumin, pepper, smoked paprika, pinch of salt, apple cider vinegar, chicken broth and chocolate to form a sauce.
- Add the chicken thighs to the slow cooker and add the mole sauce over top.
- Place the lid on and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Serve with corn tortillas, cotija cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, lime sections, sliced radishes and red onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 885Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 294mgSodium: 842mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 13gSugar: 24gProtein: 68g