About Poppy Seeds
- What are poppy seeds?
- Poppy Seeds are the seed from the poppy flower and are a rich source of thiamin, folate, several essential minerals (including calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and magnesium).
- The little seeds have been harvested by various civilizations for thousands of years! The Ancient Egyptians used them as sedatives, the Minoan civilization (from the bronze age) cultivated poppies and mixed their seeds with opium and honey to calm crying babies (that probably wouldn’t fly now, lol).
- Poppy seeds can be used in several forms for culinary uses . Whole poppy seeds can be used as a spice and as decoration in and on top of many baked goods. Poppy seeds can also be finely ground and turned into a paste mixed with butter and sugar.
- Make sure your poppy seeds are fresh. Just like other spices and herbs, they can go stale or rancid. They actually have a pretty short shelf life! They should smell and taste kind of nutty and fruity.
This almond poppy seed bread recipe is moist, flavorful, and oh-so-good. I love that it is an easy one bowl recipe, and is super easy to make. Its a great recipe to have kids help you bake! This is one of those recipes that is really dessert, but you can pretend its breakfast.
Normally quick bread recipes have a large amount of vegetable oil in them to help keep the bread super soft and moist. But by replacing this with a small amount of sour cream or plain greek yogurt and a tiny bit of milk, you get the same effect but without all that saturated fat.
Quick Breads are great breakfasts, snacks, and desserts all in one! Try these other awesome quick bread recipes:
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread – This banana bread recipe is packed with snickerdoodle flavor! Its a real treat!
- Aloha Tropical Quick Bread – This quick bread is a tropical vacation in bread form! Studded with fruit and toasted coconut!
- Banana Brandy Bread – This Banana Brandy Bread is a fun “adult” version of banana bread – spiked with brandy, spiced, and moist with the addition of sour cream. Its a great boozy banana bread recipe to have in your repertoire!
- Best Zucchini Bread – This is the best zucchini bread recipe there is! Moist and flavorful, this zucchini bread with applesauce, cinnamon and walnuts is the only zucchini bread recipe you will ever need. Its grandma approved!
- Earl Grey Banana Bread – This banana bread recipe is moist and flavorful, with subtle floral notes.
This Almond Poppy Seed Bread has the perfect soft, light and crumby texture and loads of great almond flavor! Its a simple bread the whole family will enjoy.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2 TBSP poppy seds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Slivered Almond Pieces
Keywords: Breakfast Recipe, dessert recipe, quick bread, almond poppy seed