This Strawberry Mousse Tart Recipe is an easy dessert made with vanilla and thyme roasted strawberries. A perfect spring dessert to celebrate fresh, ripe strawberries! #SpringSweetsWeek
When it comes to desserts, I believe that it should taste like you spend three days in the kitchen without actually having to do it. Who is with me?! Because when you want dessert, you don’t want it to take all day!
This Strawberry Mousse Tart was made for those first beautiful days of spring, studded with fresh juicy strawberries, garden fresh thyme, and fresh cream. Fresh, juicy strawberries are roasted with vanilla beans and thyme to utter perfection. The roasted strawberries are then turned into a beautifully creamy and fluffy strawberry mousse for a no-bake pie that was meant for sharing on a beautiful warm day.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from Swiss Diamond to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions , photographs and recipe are mine alone.
How to Make Roasted Strawberry Mousse Tart Recipe
This Roasted Strawberry Tart is simple to make. With three different parts to this recipe, it is easy to make parts of this recipe ahead of time or to make it in the morning and enjoy in the evening.
- Roast the strawberries with thyme and vanilla
- Puree the strawberries until smooth with the Swiss Diamond Jet Mix Immersion Blender until smooth.
- Gently fold fresh whipped cream into the pureed strawberries.
- Make Shortcrust pastry.
- Pre-bake tart and allow to cool completely.
- When cool, fill the tart crust with the strawberry mousse.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours, and then enjoy!
To make this Roasted Strawberry Mousse Tart Ahead of time:
- The shortcrust pastry dough can be made ahead of time, and the crust pre-baked the day before.
- The strawberries can be roasted ahead of time as well.
How to Roast Strawberries
Roasted strawberries have a deep, delicious flavor – juicier, sweeter, and almost caramel-y. To make Vanilla and Thyme Roasted Strawberries:
- Take 1 lb of fresh or frozen strawberries and remove the stems.
- Slice into quarters and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a sit-pat mat.
- Toss the strawberries with brown sugar, fresh thyme, and the seeds of a vanilla bean.
- Roast in a preheated oven (at 375 degrees) for about 30 to 35 minutes.
How Your Kids Can Help You Bake
One of the best ways of getting kids interested in eating new foods is to have them help you in the kitchen! The more involved they are, the more likely they will want to try it and actually like it. Here are some great age appropriate ways to get your kids baking in the kitchen with you to make this roasted strawberry mousse tart:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you wash the strawberries, measure out ingredients, and help hold the mixer while you whip the cream.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help you slice the strawberries, ready the strawberries to be roasted, help mix and roll the shortcrust pastry, help fold the pureed strawberries into the whipped cream, and help place the filling into the shortcrust pastry.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you cut open the vanilla bean pod and scrape out the seeds, help roll out the shortcrust pastry, and puree the strawberries with the immersion blender.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Spring Sweets Week
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2019 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! What better way to celebrate the coming of spring than with food and a fun giveaway? 30 bloggers from around the country have come together to share over 100 sweet recipes perfect for spring! Get ready to ditch your hats, coats, and snow boots and get ready for some delicious sweet treats like cupcakes, cookies, sweet breads, and cocktails! Our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much Swiss Diamond, Dixie Crystals, Nancy’s Yogurt, Sprinkle Pop, Adams Extracts, Barleans, Melissa’s Produce, and PEEPS® for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and would love if you would take a moment to read about it and what you can win!
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #SpringSweetsWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Swiss Diamond Cookware is giving one winner an XD Nonstick 6 Piece Newlywed Kitchen Kit! Swiss Diamond’s 6-Piece XD Newlywed Set is the ultimate nonstick cookware collection, with a pot or pan for nearly every recipe you can think of! Nothing conducts heat more efficiently than diamonds, and combined with the extra-thick cast aluminum body, these pans have amazingly even heat distribution. With this superior heat retention, they sear ingredients as well as stainless steel, but without the messy cleanup. The XD nonstick coating releases so well, you can cook anything without a drop of oil or butter. This set includes a 9.5″ fry pan, an 8″ fry pan, a 2.2 quart saucepan with lid, and 5.5 quart soup pot with lid.
Swiss Diamond® International dates back to 1974, when HORT Coating Center SA was founded in Sierre, Switzerland, as a scientific research company exploring new materials and surface coatings. Fast forward a few years to 2001, when a revolutionary nonstick coating suitable for use on cookware was developed, which led to the creation of Swiss Diamond® International SA. Visit https://www.swissdiamond.com/ for delicious recipes and the best nonstick cookware around.
Prize #2: Dixie Crystals is giving one winner the Wilton Ultimate Cake Decorating Tools Set! What better way to decorate your cakes made with Dixie Crystals sugar then to use this decorating set? A blue and white rectangular organizer caddy has 4 see-through drawers and 2 top compartments for holding tips, plus slots on the side to hold spatulas. Included in the caddy are 263 pieces including piping tips, a practice board, decorating bags, straight and angled spatulas, flower nails and an icing comb. There’s also a lot of handy fondant tools including a roller, cut-out sets, impression mats, modeling tools, shaping foam and a fondant smoother. It’s a cake decorators dream!
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. Our pure cane sugar products are all natural, non-GMO and provide consistently delicious results. Visit www.dixiecrystals.com for hundreds of recipes, holiday ideas, great ways to get kids baking in the kitchen, and plenty of baking videos.
Prize #3: Melissa’s Produce is giving one winner an Organic Family Produce Box. This box contains 100% organic fruits and vegetables including kale, cucumbers, apples, pears, lemons, oranges, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and so much more! It’s easy to get in your five servings of fruits and vegetables with this fun produce box.
Joe and Sharon Hernandez founded Melissa’s Produce with a decade of produce industry experience in a small, rented produce warehouse lunchroom. The original office had just three telephones and four chairs. In a few short years the company would grew to occupy a newly renovated and expanded 280,000 square foot office and warehouse complex. The Melissa’s brand is named after Joe and Sharon’s daughter, who takes an active role in the company. The company’s Food Service Division has become a full-service operation that supplies culinary professionals with staples, exotics and Melissa’s full line of organic produce. Visit https://www.melissas.com to find the best fruits, vegetables, gifts, and to get tasty recipes!
Prize #4: Nancy’s Yogurt is giving one winner a fabulous Nancy’s Yogurt tote bag full of fun items! One winner will receive a tote bag stuffed with coupons for free Nancy’s Yogurt products, a super cute T-shirt, recipe cards, and Post-Its. It’s everything you need to learn more about Nancy’s Yogurt.
Chuck and Sue Kesey opened Springfield Creamery in Oregon in 1960 right after they got married. For the first decade they focused on bottling glass jugs of milk for home delivery and school lunches. Nancy Van Brasch Hamren joined the Creamery in 1969 and shared her recipe for making yogurt. Nancy’s became the first yogurt sold in the United States to contain live probiotics. In 1999 Nancy’s Yogurt began distributing to all 50 states. Today there are nearly 60 employees and Springfield Creamery makes over 100 cultured dairy and soy products. To learn more about Nancy’s Yogurt, the products they sell, and how they make their products visit https://nancysyogurt.com/.
Prize #5: PEEPS is giving one winner a gift card to PEEPS® & Co. The winner can choose from a variety of delicious PEEPS® & Co candy items as well as apparel. They even have fun gifts like throw blankets, slippers, plush bunnies, and socks. The choice is yours!
Just Born, the company that makes PEEPS® & Co., was founded in 1923 in New York and moved to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania in 1932. Just Born got its name when founder, Sam Born, proudly displayed in his store window an evolving line of daily-made candy, declaring them “just born”. Today we enjoy the wonderful combination of sweet colored sugar and fluffy marshmallows that create the unforgettable taste experience of PEEPS® Brand Marshmallow Candies. Visit https://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/ to buy PEEPS® & Co. candy, gifts, and apparel.
Prize #6: Barlean’s is giving one winner a bottle of Seriously Delicious Omega-3, Extra Strength Ideal CBD Hemp Oil, and a bag of Super Seeds. Seriously Delicious Omega-3 is a tasty way to add Omega-3’s to your diet without a fishy after taste. The Extra Strength Ideal CBD Hemp Oil is made from US grown hemp, contains no artificial ingredients, has a natural mint flavor, and is gluten free, vegan, and is known to . Super Seeds are a delicious way to add antioxidants and Omega-3’s to your morning oatmeal, smoothies, and yogurt.
Barlean’s believes that people can make a difference in the world through ordinary purchases. They are on a mission to make premium natural supplements and functional foods that feed the mind and body and using our profits to support outreach programs for people in need, both locally and around the world. Visit www.barleans.com to learn more about their products, community, and where you can purchase their products.
Prize #7: Adams Extract is giving one winner four of their amazing extracts and a set of their food colors. The extracts include Pure Almond Extract, Pure Vanilla Extract, and Pure Lemon Extract. The winner will also receive Adams Best Twice as Strong Vanilla which is awesome to bake with.
John A. Adams began making and selling his Green Plant Sarsaparilla extract in 1888 in Battle Creek, Michigan. In 1905, he moved his family to Beeville, TX. Working with just $6.71 worth of materials on top of an old icebox, John A. Adams created a new formula for vanilla. His wife tested it by whipping up a cake and announced, “John, this is the BEST flavoring I have ever used.” “Well, that’s old man Adams BEST,” he responded. The name stuck, and Adams Best was born! Today, Adams manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, and many more. To learn more about Adams Extract, to shop their products, or to find delicious recipes visit https://www.adamsextract.com/default.aspx.
Prize #8: Sprinkle Pop is giving one winner six fabulous sprinkle mixes from their Easter collection! The sprinkle mixes include Hangin’ with my Peeps, Bewitched, Signature, Green Tea, Cottontail Confetti, and Egg Hunt. These fun sprinkles are a great addition to any spring or Easter baked goods.
Liz Butts founded Sprinkle Pop in Texas. Liz found that not only can she pinpoint exactly what sprinkle color combinations work best together, she can create a custom blend with the perfect textures. She grew the business from a one-woman show operating out of the small “sprinkle room” in her house on nights and weekends then soon expanded to a dedicated warehouse space with a devoted team of sprinkle fairies in under a year. She makes delicious sprinkle mixes that are custom, vibrant and luxurious. Over 50% of all the sprinkles are dyed in house so they are one of a kind! Visit https://sprinklepop.shop/ to shop their sprinkles, learn how they give back to the community, and for fun recipes!
This Strawberry Mousse Tart Recipe is an easy dessert made with vanilla and thyme roasted strawberries. A perfect spring dessert to celebrate fresh, ripe strawberries!
- 15 oz (or 2 cups) strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
To Make the Roasted Strawberries:
- Preheat an oven to 400F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or a piece of parchment paper.
- Wash the strawberries and hull and slice in half.
- Place the strawberries on the baking sheet with the brown sugar, thyme sprigs, and vanilla pod and toss to mix.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Allow to cool to warm on the pan.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and vanilla pod.
- Follow directions for making the mousse below.
To Make the Shortcrust Pastry:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Cut in the cubed butter until it forms large pea sized pieces.
- Stir in the egg yolks and mix to combine. The crust will be crumbly still, but you should be able to press it together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, press to form a disc, and chill for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, roll the dough out into a circle that is 11″ wide.
- Press the dough into a tart pan or a pie plate.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough and place pie weights on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie weights and pierce the dough with a fork on the bottom.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
To Make Strawberry Mousse Filling:
- When the roasted strawberries are cooled slightly, place them in a large bowl.
- Puree the strawberries with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of gelatin over the strawberries and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream to peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the pureed strawberries.
- When the tart crust is cool, place the strawberry mousse into the tart crust and smooth to create an even layer.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Keywords: Strawberry Mousse, Strawberry Tart, Shortcrust Pastry, Spring Dessert
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.
Monday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- A PEEP into the Upcoming #SpringSweetsWeek Festivities by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Blueberry Shortbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Carrot Cake Balls by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Nest Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Swirl Cheesecake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Coconut Lemon Pound Cake by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Easy Marshmallow Popcorn Balls by House of Nash Eats
- Easy Peanut Butter Cornflake Bars by Creative Southern Home
- Healthier Orange Julius Copycat by Simply Inspired Meals
- Individual Italian Easter Breads by Cookaholic Wife
- Lemon Blueberry Croissant Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Blueberry Scones by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Lemon Cream Pie by Home Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Ricotta Stuffed Crepes with Cherry Syrup by Cooking With Carlee
- Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mini Strawberry Mousse Tarts by A Savory Feast
- Orange Pineapple Nice Cream Pops by Crumb Top Baking
- PB&J PEEPSomars by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Blueberry Upside Down Cake by The Tip Garden
- Peeps Shortbread Checkerboard by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Soft Frosted Lemon Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Spring Fruit and Rice Krispies Treat Kabobs by Blogghetti
- Strawberry Raspberry Smoothie by Books n’ Cooks
- Sweet Breakfast Crepes by The Speckled Palate
- Toasted Pound Cake by Our Good Life
- Vanilla Bean Dutch Baby with Strawberry Hibiscus Syrup by The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate Strawberry and Champagne Scones with Champagne Glaze by Family Around the Table
- White Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting by Sweet Beginnings
- Xangos by Palatable Pastime