This Strawberry Mousse Tart Recipe is an easy dessert made with vanilla and thyme roasted strawberries. A perfect spring dessert to celebrate fresh, ripe strawberries! #SpringSweetsWeek
When it comes to desserts, I believe that it should taste like you spend three days in the kitchen without actually having to do it. Who is with me?! Because when you want dessert, you don’t want it to take all day!
This Strawberry Mousse Tart was made for those first beautiful days of spring, studded with fresh juicy strawberries, garden fresh thyme, and fresh cream. Fresh, juicy strawberries are roasted with vanilla beans and thyme to utter perfection. The roasted strawberries are then turned into a beautifully creamy and fluffy strawberry mousse for a no-bake pie that was meant for sharing on a beautiful warm day.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from Swiss Diamond to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions , photographs and recipe are mine alone.
How to Make Roasted Strawberry Mousse Tart Recipe
This Roasted Strawberry Tart is simple to make. With three different parts to this recipe, it is easy to make parts of this recipe ahead of time or to make it in the morning and enjoy in the evening.
- Roast the strawberries with thyme and vanilla
- Puree the strawberries until smooth with the Swiss Diamond Jet Mix Immersion Blender until smooth.
- Gently fold fresh whipped cream into the pureed strawberries.
- Make Shortcrust pastry.
- Pre-bake tart and allow to cool completely.
- When cool, fill the tart crust with the strawberry mousse.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours, and then enjoy!
To make this Roasted Strawberry Mousse Tart Ahead of time:
- The shortcrust pastry dough can be made ahead of time, and the crust pre-baked the day before.
- The strawberries can be roasted ahead of time as well.
How to Roast Strawberries
Roasted strawberries have a deep, delicious flavor – juicier, sweeter, and almost caramel-y. To make Vanilla and Thyme Roasted Strawberries:
- Take 1 lb of fresh or frozen strawberries and remove the stems.
- Slice into quarters and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a sit-pat mat.
- Toss the strawberries with brown sugar, fresh thyme, and the seeds of a vanilla bean.
- Roast in a preheated oven (at 375 degrees) for about 30 to 35 minutes.
What else can you do with Roasted Strawberries? Use them on top of Strawberry Shortcakes, put them in Roasted Strawberry Pancakes, dollop warm onto ice cream, or add them to a salad!
How Your Kids Can Help You Bake
One of the best ways of getting kids interested in eating new foods is to have them help you in the kitchen! The more involved they are, the more likely they will want to try it and actually like it. Here are some great age appropriate ways to get your kids baking in the kitchen with you to make this roasted strawberry mousse tart:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you wash the strawberries, measure out ingredients, and help hold the mixer while you whip the cream.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help you slice the strawberries, ready the strawberries to be roasted, help mix and roll the shortcrust pastry, help fold the pureed strawberries into the whipped cream, and help place the filling into the shortcrust pastry.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you cut open the vanilla bean pod and scrape out the seeds, help roll out the shortcrust pastry, and puree the strawberries with the immersion blender.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
- 15 oz (or 2 cups) strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
To Make the Roasted Strawberries:
- Preheat an oven to 400F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or a piece of parchment paper.
- Wash the strawberries and hull and slice in half.
- Place the strawberries on the baking sheet with the brown sugar, thyme sprigs, and vanilla pod and toss to mix.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Allow to cool to warm on the pan.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and vanilla pod.
- Follow directions for making the mousse below.
To Make the Shortcrust Pastry:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Cut in the cubed butter until it forms large pea sized pieces.
- Stir in the egg yolks and mix to combine. The crust will be crumbly still, but you should be able to press it together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, press to form a disc, and chill for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, roll the dough out into a circle that is 11" wide.
- Press the dough into a tart pan or a pie plate.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough and place pie weights on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie weights and pierce the dough with a fork on the bottom.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
To Make Strawberry Mousse Filling:
- When the roasted strawberries are cooled slightly, place them in a large bowl.
- Puree the strawberries with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of gelatin over the strawberries and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream to peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the pureed strawberries.
- When the tart crust is cool, place the strawberry mousse into the tart crust and smooth to create an even layer.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 106mg Sodium: 132mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.