Ok, fine, it’s official. I am now a salad freak. I am seriously loving them! A bunch of fun ingredients, awesome flavors, and seriously fast to throw together. And little to no cooking at all.
Yup. I’m definitely loving them.
This salad is a great meal when you want something quick, fresh, and packed with summer produce. The different colors, textures, and flavors work beautifully together in this quick summer meal.
Other family friendly dinner salads you should try:
Here is what you need to make this salad. For the full amounts and directions, please scroll down to the recipe card below.
For the lemon vinaigrette:
- 2 lemons for zest and juice – use real lemons, not prepackaged juice
- olive oil – I recommend an extra virgin olive oil that doesn’t have too much of its own flavor. You want to add to the texture of the dressing without overpowering the lemon flavor.
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- Chicken – Use boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mixed greens – I like to use a combination of baby spinach and romaine, but you can use any greens you want.
- Sweet Corn – I like using corn on the cob and grilling it along with the chicken, but you can use frozen or canned, too.
- Cherry tomatoes – you could substitute with a large tomato diced, too.
- Fresh parsley and basil – do not substitute with dried, here! You can garden fresh and flavorful!
How to make this dinner salad recipe with grilled chicken
This salad is really simple to make. For the full set of directions, make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below, but here is a brief overview:
Grill the chicken
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. You can use charcoal or gas, it doesn’t matter.
- Lightly season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper and clean the corn cobs.
- Grill the chicken and corn on the cobs. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes while you make the marinade.
Make the marinade
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, honey, and salt and pepper.
Assemble the salad
- Cut the chicken into slices, and cut the corn kernels off the cobs
- Take two large dinner plates and divide the lettuce in half between them.
- Divide the grilled chicken slices between the two plates.
- Top each salad evenly with the corn kernels, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, and basil.
- Drizzle on the salad dressing.
Tips for grilling chicken breasts:
- Grill the chicken over medium heat. Lower temperatures and lowering cooking mean juicier chicken. A temperature of 400 F is perfect, if you have a temperature gauge on your grill.
- Use a meat thermometer to test doneness of your chicken so you don’t over cook it. You want to reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
How to serve this to your family
This salad is a great choice for families because its so easy to serve in different ways for all the family members:
- For toddlers – Serve individual piles of all the ingredients cut up into appropriate sizes.
- For younger kids – Serve the salad portion (lettuce tossed with some dressing) in one pile, and then serve the chicken, blueberries, corn, and tomatoes in their own individual piles.
- For older kids – Serve the lettuce tossed with the dressing, but allow the child to choose which toppings they want on top of their salad and which items they want on the side.
For more tips on creating a family that loves salad, read “How to make kid friendly salad“.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons worth)
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP honey
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 4 ears of sweet corn
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 6 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 Tablespoons chopped basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill.
- Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper, and clean the corn.
- When grill is ready, grill chicken and corn until done. The chikcen should reach 165 F internally.
- Allow the chicken to rest 5 minutes.
- Cut the kernels off the corn and slice the chicken into strips.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk together.
- Divide the mixed greens between the plates.
- Top with the blueberries, halved chery tomatoes, diced cucumber, fresh parsley and basil, the corn and the sliced chicken.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 6gSugar: 19gProtein: 43g
Nutrition information is an estimate and is provided for informational purposes only. For the most accurate information, please calculate using your specific brands and exact measurements.
(slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)