This Thai Kale Salad with Chicken and Peanut Dressing is a great summer time dinner salad - filled with the colors, textures, and flavors that you crave in a simple and easy dinner!
I've decided its time to actually start thinking about getting some of this baby weight off. You know, now that she is 6 months old... Haha. Well to be truthful I have been thinking about this before now (since I have exactly 2 jeans and 4 shirts that fit me...) but have been unable to do anything about it because Joel has been working crazy hours and I've literally been in survival mode. But now that Joel is back to a semi-normal schedule (no more night shifts!!!), the weather is nice so Ladybug can play outside, and Munchkin is old enough to theoretically play in her play gym in the kitchen instead of attached at my hip, I can actually put some effort into cooking a healthy dinner!
This past summer I became addicted to big dinner salads, the kind with 18 different ingredients and yummy homemade dressings. But with the advent of winter (and new baby and husband working nights) we totally forgot about making a salad. Didn't even cross our minds. Except for maybe thinking "I can't wait for summer and salads!" Because, you know, you can't possibly eat a salad in the middle of a winter snowpocalypse. It just isn't done.
So, this salad.
Its super yummy! I love thai food because there are always so many wonderful flavors just crammed together. And this salad is no exception - its definitely got flavor coming full force at you. The crunch of the veggies, the creaminess of the peanut dressing, and the smoothness of the chicken all combine together to make a lovely salad that is exactly what you need on a hot summer evening. Plus, the rainbow of colors makes it one gorgeous plate! We loved it! This Thai Kale Chicken Salad is great for families - it satisfies your desire for texture and flavor while filling you up, but it isn't so crazy that the kids won't enjoy it as well. If you want it spicier you can add some sriracha or red pepper flakes on top.
Check out 9 Healthy and Filling Summer Dinner Salads, including:
Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken Salad - Spicy and sweet, this dinner salad is packed with flavor!
- Grilled Asian Flank Steak and Mango Salad - This quick salad recipe is loaded with fresh and vibrant flavor!
- Grilled Chicken, Corn and Blueberry Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette - This Summer Dinner Salad with Grilled Chicken, Corn, Blueberry and Lemon Vinaigrette is the perfect weeknight meal for a hot summer evening!
- Strawberry, Avocado and Bacon Salad with Creamy Dressing - This salad is perfect for summer and fresh produce!
- Southwest Steak Salad - This salad is perfect if you are craving tacos but need something healthier.
- Summer Kale Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette - This easy salad is quick to pull together but totally satisfying!
- 2.5 TBSP creamy peanut butter
- 2 TSP + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp orange zest
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- ¼ tsp grated garlic
- 3 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 head kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced in half
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped peanuts
- ½ cup cooked and shredded chicken
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a container with a lid and shake, shake, shake, until well combined.
- Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes for flavors to come together.
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Arrange ingredients for the salad on a plate, top with dressing and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 16g
(Adapted from Edible Perspective)