Southwest Steak Salad is a quick and easy dinner salad that is perfect for a summer time meal! With tons of flavor and simple ingredients like tender grilled steak, crisp lettuce, creamy avocado and tons more, this southwest steak salad is sure to be big hit with all members of the family!
Ways to get kids involved in Southwest Steak Salad:
Get the kids involved! The more involved a kid is in the preparation of a meal, the more ownership they will take, the more interest they will show, and the more likely they are to want to eat it!
- Ask your kids help you find the ingredients at the store. Show them how to pick a ripe tomato, ask them to find the colorful produce, and get their curiosity working!
- Have your kids help you prepare the ingredients – washing and drying the produce, tearing the lettuce, cutting the softer ingredients, mixing the salad dressing.
- Invite your helpers to help you plate the salad, adding each ingredient onto everyone’s plates.
How to Serve Southwest Steak Salad For Kids:
There are two easy ways to serve salad to kids so that they will eat them.
- Deconstructed. Often, big dinner salads can seem overwhelming to kids – 50 different foods all mixed together and touching everything else? No. Way. Instead, serve the salad as little piles of each ingredient, or ingredients that go together – like the steak by itself and the lettuce and vegetables by itself.
- Salad Bar. Kids love choices, and they love the feeling that they are in charge. Serving your southwest steak salad like a salad bar, with all the ingredients laid out for them to choose between, works great to get your kids to eat salad. Allowing them to choose which ingredients they want and how much of each ingredient gives them ownership of their dinner – meaning they will eat it! This is the perfect way to customize a meal so every family member is happy – without you being a short order cook!
Check out 9 Healthy and Filling Summer Dinner Salads, including:
Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken Salad – Spicy and sweet, this dinner salad is packed with flavor!
- Grilled Asian Flank Steak and Mango Salad – This quick salad recipe is loaded with fresh and vibrant flavor!
- Grilled Chicken, Corn and Blueberry Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette – This Summer Dinner Salad with Grilled Chicken, Corn, Blueberry and Lemon Vinaigrette is the perfect weeknight meal for a hot summer evening!
- Strawberry, Avocado and Bacon Salad with Creamy Dressing – This salad is perfect for summer and fresh produce!
- Thai Kale Salad with Chicken and Peanut Dressing – This Thai Kale Salad with Chicken and Peanut Dressing is a great summer time dinner salad – filled with the colors, textures, and flavors that you crave in a simple and easy dinner!
- Summer Kale Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette – This easy salad is quick to pull together but totally satisfying!
There’s nothing I love more than seeing you make my recipes! If you make this Viking Bread Recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment below and rate the recipe!
And don’t forget to subscribe to the email list to get all the extra tips, tricks and bonuses!
- 1 pound skirt steak
- salt and pepper
- 2 hearts of romain lettuce, torn
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled and diced small
- 6 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 3 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium high.
- Cut the steak into 4 pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil - let rest 5 minutes, then slice thin.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, 1 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the chile, lime juice, honey, 1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the oil and any juices that have accumulated from the steak.
- Pour over the salad and toss.
- Add steak and toss again.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 12gSugar: 13gProtein: 35g