This snack cake is rich, moist, and flavorful. The roasted bananas add a touch of sweetness, while the browned butter in the cream cheese frosting gives this extra oomph.
- 2 cups sliced riped bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 9 ounces cake flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup non-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- baking spray with flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees.
- In an 8" square baking dish, toss together the sliced bananas, 1 TBSP butter chunks and brown sugar.
- Roast for 35 minutes, stirring after 17 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375.
- Spray a 9x13 cake pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, banana mixture, and vanilla extract.
- Place 1/2 cup butter and the sugar in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, alternating with the banana mixture (begin and end with flour).
- Pour the batter into the prepared 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, melt the 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium-heat, cooking slowly for 4 minutes or until it becomes lightly browned (watch it, it will burn fast!)
- Cool the butter slightly.
- Combine the browned butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla in a medium bowl and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled bars and sprinkle the tops with the toasted pecans.
- Enjoy!!! 🙂
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 463 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 67mg Sodium: 222mg Carbohydrates: 77g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 48g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g