I never know – is it Donuts or Doughnuts?
These sourdough donuts are quick and easy to make, and give outstanding results!!!! They taste A-Maze-Ing!
I love that this sourdough doughnuts recipe doesn’t require proofing, so you can make these easy donuts anytime you have sourdough discard ready to use!
- tossed them in cinnamon and sugar
- tossed some in powdered sugar
- made a simple glaze the coat the rest
How to Make Perfect Sourdough Donuts
- When cutting the donuts, use a sharp cutter in an up and down motion – don’t twist it.
- Try to plan out how to cut the most donuts from your dough the first go. You can re-roll the scraps and cut a second time, but the second batch of sourdough donuts will be tougher because the dough has been handled more. A third time is wasted.
- Remember, you can use the insides of the donuts to make sourdough doughnut holes!
- Make sure your oil is hot enough before frying – it should be around 370-375 degrees F. This way the oil is hot enough to fry your doughnuts without them becoming overly greasy.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. You need enough so that the donuts can float and cook properly.
- Don’t crowd the pan when frying. Its better to give each donut its own room so that it can fry properly.
- Glaze or top your donuts while its still a bit warm but cool enough to touch and not collapse under the weight of hte glaze.
Obsessed with Sourdough? Fuel your obsession with these:
This easy and quick sourdough donut recipe is the perfect way to use sourdough discard. Delicious donuts with a slight sourdough tang, these will become the favorite weekend breakfast for the sourdough lover!
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (regular milk will do, too!)
- oil for frying.