I never know – is it Donuts or Doughnuts?
These sourdough donuts are quick and easy to make, and give outstanding results!!!! They taste A-Maze-Ing!
I love that this sourdough doughnuts recipe doesn’t require proofing, so you can make these easy donuts anytime you have sourdough discard ready to use!
- tossed them in cinnamon and sugar
- tossed some in powdered sugar
- made a simple glaze the coat the rest
How to Make Perfect Sourdough Donuts
- When cutting the donuts, use a sharp cutter in an up and down motion – don’t twist it.
- Try to plan out how to cut the most donuts from your dough the first go. You can re-roll the scraps and cut a second time, but the second batch of sourdough donuts will be tougher because the dough has been handled more. A third time is wasted.
- Remember, you can use the insides of the donuts to make sourdough doughnut holes!
- Make sure your oil is hot enough before frying – it should be around 370-375 degrees F. This way the oil is hot enough to fry your doughnuts without them becoming overly greasy.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. You need enough so that the donuts can float and cook properly.
- Don’t crowd the pan when frying. Its better to give each donut its own room so that it can fry properly.
- Glaze or top your donuts while its still a bit warm but cool enough to touch and not collapse under the weight of hte glaze.
Obsessed with Sourdough? Fuel your obsession with these:
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (regular milk will do, too!)
- oil for frying.
- Prepare a frying pan with enough oil to fry in, and allow it to reach about 360 degrees.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together the starter, oil, egg, and milk.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, until they just come together.
- Sprinkle some flour on your counter and dump the dough out of the bowl. Knead it gently 3 or 4 times until the dough comes together.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with a tiny bit of flour and roll out until it is 2″ thick.
- Cut your donuts out, reforming the dough back together as often as you need to.
- Fry until golden brown, just a minute or two on each side.
- Drain/dry on the paper towels, and then coat as you see fit – powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar, or glazed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g