It’s a terrible shame to be really excited about a recipe, only to have it not live up to your expectations. That’s what happened to my friend, Abby. She bought a bunch of beautiful peaches with the intent of making a peach cake, only to text me later and tell me that it sucked! Well lucky for her because I just happened to have a bunch of peaches on my counter that needed baking! I bought a bunch at the Farmers Market, brought them home, they looked beautiful, and tasted amazing. However, the next morning every single one of them was bruised and pathetic looking.
If you can’t tell by now, I’m all about the non-fussy simple cakes this summer (and with strawberries and plums about, who wouldn’t be?), the kind where its all about the fruit, and I wanted to find something similar for a peach cake.
Lo and behold, this cake completely fit the bill, and I loved the crushed almonds hidden in the batter. I totally didn’t follow the directions (I’m getting really bad at that, aren’t I?) and accidentally put the whole amount of sugar in with the peaches instead of the batter, so the top of the cake formed this delectably jammy gooeyness on top, and I loved it. This cake was gone as fast as it came out of the oven. It serisously didn’t even last a whole 24 hours.
Love simple cake recipes? Try these:
- Fresh Strawberry Cake Recipe – A fresh strawberry cake recipe makes the perfect light summer dessert. This fresh fruit dessert features moist, flavorful vanilla cake studded with fresh strawberries.
- Easy and Elegant Plum Torte – Moist, buttery, juicy, and unbelievable. This simple dessert is everything you want in a dessert – it is easy to make, and lovely to eat!
- 3 ripe peaches
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 9 inch cake pan.
- Cut the peaches into bite sized pieces.
- Toss the peaches with nutmeg all 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, and extracts and mix well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie pan.
- Press the peaches into the top of the cake, cramming as much as you can in there.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350, and then reduce the oven temperature to 325 and bake for an additional 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 289 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 163mg Carbohydrates: 41g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g