Interested in adding more middle eastern recipes to your meal plan? Read the Beginner’s Guide to Kid Friendly Midde Eastern Cuisine for easy recipes and kid-friendly tips!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup bulghur wheat or 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- juice from 1 lemons
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 bunch mint
- 2 green onions
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small cucumbber
- 1 head garlic sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- juice of half a lemon
- tabbouleh salad
- pita wraps/flat bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, tumeric, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and garlic.
- Add the chicken and toss to make sure the chicken is coated well. **The longer you let the marinade sit, the better it is. At least an hour is awesome, but in a pinch you can throw it into the oven as is.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Add the sliced onion to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Add everything to a 9x13 baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and crisp on the edges. ** While the chicken is baking, prepare the tabbouleh and then the garlic sauce.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes and then slice into it.
- Place the bulgur in a small bowl and cover with 1/2" of boiling water. Cover and sit about 20 minutes.
- While the bulgur is soaking, chop the parsley, mint, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- Mix these together with the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.
- When the bulgur is done, drain off any excess liquid and toss with the herbs/tomatoes.
- Allow to sit at room temperature until ready to eat.
- You can store excess in an air tight container in the fridge for a few days. *The taste gets better as it ages, so you might want to make this ahead of time if you can. If not, it will still be good!
- Place the garlic and salt into a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of the oil while the processor is going.
- Add in 1 tsp of the lemon juice and puree.
- Drizzle in the remainder of the oil, puree, and then add the remainder of the lemon juice.
- Puree until its fluffy and white!
- Warm the pita/flatbread in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and then spread with hummus, spoon 2-3 TBSP of tabbouleh salad, add the chicken and drizzle with garlic sauce.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 949 Total Fat: 71.9g Cholesterol: 55.2mg Sodium: 981.4mg Carbohydrates: 53.6g Sugar: 4.1g Protein: 27.2g