This cinnamon roll spice mix is a flavorful and special addition to any recipe that calls for cinnamon. Use it instead of just plain cinnamon in any cinnamon roll recipe, muffin, scone, cookie or more for an extra flavorful spice! Also known as British Mixed Spice.
It happened as a happy accident. I was making homemade cinnamon rolls, and I ran out of cinnamon. I rapidly just threw random spices into the mix and went with it. And I discovered that I loved it.
Over time I have refined this cinnamon roll seasoning to be a perfect blend of spices that is perfect for all your baking needs.
I call this is a cinnamon roll seasoning mix, but it’s essentially a British mixed spice recipe. Mixed spice is a blend of spices used in baked goods like hot cross buns, pudding, and cakes. It is similar to a pumpkin pie spice blend, although the ratios and spices is different.
What you need to make this recipe:
- Cinnamon – Use a good quality cinnamon. I prefer using a Saigon variety as it has a really rich flavor.
- Nutmeg – For best flavor, I suggest grating your own nutmeg fresh!
- Allspice – a very aromatic baking spice
- Cloves – Adds a rich depth of flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Mace – a milder nutmeg flavor with a hint of citrus and peppery flavor
- Ginger – adds a little bite
- Coriander – you just need a hint to add some nuttiness
How to make this mixed spice recipe
- Assemble the best, freshest spices you can get.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices together until well blended.
- Transfer to a lidded glass jar and label!
Keep this mixed spice recipe in a cool dark place (like your pantry).
This spice blend will keep for up to 6 months before it starts to loose flavor.
How to Use Cinnamon Roll Spice Mix:
- Cinnamon Sugar Toast
- Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Hot Cross Buns
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Casserole
- Christmas Star Twisted Cinnamon Sweet Bread
- Cinnamon Spice Biscotti
- Sprinkle it over your oatmeal
- Add it to homemade applesauce
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below! Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Cinnamon Roll Spice Mix
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 Tablespoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Mix spices together in a lidded glass jar.
- Keep in a cool, dark place (like your spice cabinet) and use in place of cinnamon in cinnamon rolls, muffins, pies, or any other recipe.