Soft and chewy with a slight sourdough tang, these sourdough pretzels have great texture and are fun to make.
Love Sourdough? Check out over 60 great sourdough recipes, including other fun bread recipes:
- Sourdough Hot Dog Buns - These homemade hot dog buns have a dense and chewy texture with sourdough tang, and are perfect for your next barbecue!
- Sourdough Hot Cross Buns - These sourdough hot cross buns are soft, slightly sweet, and deliciously flavored. The tang of sourdough is mellowed by the ale and spices, and everything seems to blend together perfectly.
- Sourdough Everything Crackers - This cracker recipe is an easy way to use your sourdough starter.
- Sourdough Cheesy Popovers - These buttery and cheesy popovers are a fun addition to your meal!
- Sourdough Croissant - These croissants are the perfect way to use your sourdough starter! Beautiful buttery and flakey layers!
Sourdough Pretzel Dough:
- 1 cup sourdough starter, straight from the fridge
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP warm water
- coarse salt
- melted butter
To Make the Dough:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all the ingredients.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and slightly sticky.
- Shape the dough into a bowl and place in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 45 minutes.
To Shape the Pretzels:
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface (or silicone rolling mat) and fold in half a few times to deflate.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle and cut into 12 pieces.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out while you work.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll the dough into an 18" rope.
- Loop the rope into pretzels (I found it was easiest to do this upside down).
- Place the formed pretzels onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and lukewarm water and brush over the pretzels.
- Sprinkle with the coarse salt.
To Bake the Pretzels:
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter.
- Remove from the baking sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g