These easy pork chops are rubbed with a cocoa and spice mixture that gives them a lovely depth of flavor that the whole family will enjoy. Served with an easy berry compote that that turns these easy weeknight pork chop recipe into a special meal.
Its #Choctoberfest, which means this week has been all about chocolate! In my quest for bringing chocolate into weeknight meals, I knew I wanted to try using cocoa powder in a spice rub for pork chops. This pork chop recipe might seem impressive and for special occasions only, but its simple and perfect for any night of the week.
Cocoa Spiced Pork Chops with Berry Compote
If you are wondering whether these taste like pork chops with chocolate syrup on top – don’t worry! Rather than tasting like dessert, the cocoa gives a subtle but delicious depth of flavor that blends beautifully with the spiced mixture. By combining brown sugar, cocoa powder and spices, these pork chops become flavorful but not spicy, so they are kid-friendly. The berry pan sauce adds to the
These easy pork chops are cooked in one pan and are ready to eat in 30 minutes, so even though they look like a fancy special occasion-meal, they are perfect for any night of the week.
I cooked these pork chops on a skillet on the stove, but they would be equally delicious grilled! If you grill them, you do need to make the berry pan sauce on the stove-top.
How Your Kids Can Cook With You:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure the ingredients, and set the table.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help do everything above, plus help you prepare the berry sauce and slice the mushrooms..
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help do everything above, plus slice the onions and prepare the pork chops.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Love Pork Chops? Try these easy weeknight pork chop recipes:
- Grilled Pork Chops with Orange and Grape Salsa – Summer on a plate! These easy spiced grilled pork chops are paired with a vibrant and fun salsa that is perfect for hot steamy summer nights.
- Smothered Pork Chops with Mashed Cheddar Buttercup Squash – These braised pork chops are smothered in a tomato and mushroom sauce and paired with cheesy mahed buttercup squash for a hearty and flavorful fall meal.
- Grilled Pork chops with Cherry Couscous – These grilled pork chops is simple but tasty! The couscous is the real star of the show in this easy weeknight meal.
- Braised Pork Chops with Cherry Sauce – These easy braised pork chops are a perfect 30 minute recipe. Served with an easy balsamic cherry pan sauce made with leeks and rosemary . Special enough for a Sunday dinner but easy enough for a quick weeknight!
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 lb shitake mushrooms, diced small
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 TBSP fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1 tsp raspberry infused balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat 4 pork chops dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Combine the brown sugar, italian seasoning, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and pepper and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the pork chops.
- Place on the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip and cook an additional few minutes until the internal temperature reaches 145F degrees.
- Remove the pork chops from the skillet and place on a plate to rest while you make the sauce.
- For the berry sauce,
- Heat the butter and olive oil in the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the skillet and allow to cook until soft.
- Add the rosemary, berries and cook for just a few minutes until they start to break down.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste and the balsamic vinegar.
- Serve over the pork.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g