Ground Beef Stroganoff is a comforting and flavorful dish that brings together tender ground beef, sautéed mushrooms, and a creamy, savory sauce. Served with fresh pasta or rice, this Stroganoff offers an easy-to-make and satisfying meal for any occasion.
If you’re on the lookout for a weeknight dinner that’s both quick and kid-approved, look no further than the ultimate comfort classic: ground beef stroganoff!
Creamy, savory beef and mushrooms with perfectly cooked egg noodles, and you’ve got a dish that will make your taste buds do a happy dance. So, grab that skillet, round up your hungry little ones, and get ready for a flavor-packed adventure in the kitchen that’ll have everyone asking for seconds!
Other ground beef recipes:
This ain’t your grandma’s stroganoff – we’re talking about a modern twist that swaps out the traditional strips of beef for the convenience of ground beef. It’s a game-changer for busy evenings when you want a hearty meal without the fuss.
How to make stroganoff with ground beef
This recipe is very simple to make! Here is a brief overview of the recipe to give you an idea of how it works. For the full set of directions and measurements, please make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below!
- In a medium skillet, saute the onions in butter until softened, then add in the garlic and the mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and cook until mostly done.
- Add in the remaining ingredients to create the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes to combine and infuse the flavors. While this is summering, cook the pasta.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch to reach desired consistency.
- Serve with the pasta and enjoy.
Timing of this recipe
This recipe is ready in about 30 minutes. This includes:
- 5 minutes to dice the onion, mince the garlic.
- 10 minutes to saute the onion and garlic and mushrooms
- 5 minutes to cook the beef
- 10 minutes to make the sauce and cook the pasta
Prepping ahead of time
This recipe is really easy to make, but if you need to it to be faster you can try:
- Using pre-minced garlic, pre-sliced mushrooms and frozen chopped onion from the grocery store
- Or prep the garlic onion and mushrooms ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Leftovers can be stored in airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. If the mixture has thickened, you can add a splash of water or beef broth and stir it back into the sauce.
How to serve this to your family
This meal is a great comforting weeknight meal when you need something easy and delicious. Serve with easy sides like mediterranean cucumbers, green beans almondine or easy roasted zucchini garlic for a full meal that is packed with all the colors, textures, and flavors.
Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 4 cups dry pasta or 12 oz egg noodles
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add diced onion and stir for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir for one minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir for 3 minutes to soften.
- Add minced meat and let it cook, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes. The beef does not need to be all the way done at this point because it will continue to cook, but you want it mostly browned through.
- Once the meat is pale brown, add the heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and reduce heat to low.
- Let it simmer for 8-10 minutes to infuse flavors. In the meantime, cook the pasta following its manufacturer’s instructions.
- Mix one tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water and pour it in. Stir over heat until it thickens. Repeat with an extra tbsp of cornstarch to reach the desired consistency.
- Incorporate cooked pasta into the skillet and serve warm.