Don’t leave Asian food for take-out and Sunday buffets only! Bringing this cultural food into your home is not only easy, but also packed with fresh flavorful recipes, healthy ingredients, and is so easy for parents to make at home! This handy Beginner’s Guide to Kid Friendly Asian Food is the perfect way to expand your child’s palate.
When starting to introduce International Cuisine to your family meals, Asian food is a great place to start! Not only to most people have some exposure to Asian cuisine already, but its easy to find fast, fresh, flavorful meals the whole family will enjoy!
If you haven’t gone over the above guide it’s a good place to start so that you can successfully introduce your children to new and adventurous foods. Here’s some things to get you started on your next food adventure- Asia!
Tips to Make Asian Food Kid Friendly:
- Include Known Favorites. Asian cuisine is so handy because you can add in pretty much any vegetable you have on hand! I always try to add in a few that are different colors or sizes to add some visual variety. Make sure that at least one is something that your kid already loves, and try one that they might not be so familiar with.
- RICE! Rice is a great fall back because kids love it! Its easy to make, its helps dilute new flavors and sauces, and its a basic staple for Asian cuisine. There are a bajillion varieties, but you can stick what you like on hand, whether its jasmine or brown, but either way – a bowl of plain rice is where its at.
- Noodles are included in a good majority of majority of Asian dishes, and can easily be swapped out for rice. Don’t get too hung up on the kind of noodle – they are easy to swap out!
Top Ten Flavors of Asian Cuisine:
- Ginger – Can be used grated, minced, sliced, and in so many other ways!
- Miso Paste – This soybean paste comes in a variety of colors and flavor intensities. It has sweet overtones and is mildly sweet
- Chinese 5 Spice – A great blend of spices that adds depth of flavor.
- Soy Sauce – A great way to add salty flavor to just about everything! You can also replace with gluten-free tamari.
- Sesame Oil – With a great toasty, nutty, aromatic flavor, this rounds out dressings, dipping sauces and marinades.
- Rice Vinegar – A mild vinegar used for marriages, dipping sauces, and vinaigrettes.
- Fish Sauce – A must have funky flavor addition and a great way to add some “umami” to any dish. A little goes a long way!
- Oyster Sauce – This sauce might seem similar to Fish sauce, and it does have a similar flavor but has much more depth of flavor and is more a thick sauce than the thinner fish sauce.
- Hot Chili Sauce – Adds heat and a little more flavor to any dish. Garlic Chili Sauce or Sriracha, or Gogochang are great options.
- Coconut Milk – Used prevalently in SE Asian cooking, and is slightly sweet flavored.
Other Resource You Might Need:
Tools and Gadgets for Eating Asian Food at Home:
Jenni Ward/The Gingered Whisk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
You actually don’t need any fancy equipment to enjoy Asian food at home! The following are fun to have, though!
- Kid-Friendly Chopsticks make eating Asian food not only seem authentic, but WAY FUN!
- A Rice Cooker helps make rice SO fast and easy – plus it can keep it warm for hours! Its not essential to have, but its super nice to have if you have the cabinet space for it!
Additional Kid Friendly Resources About Asian Culture:
Learning about a new culture isn’t just eating their food. Its also seeing seeing and hearing clothing, customs, music. In order to broaden little horizons, I love incorporating great books, movies and music from around the world into my children’s lives.
Playing music from a region is a fun way to introduce kids to another land. We love to play music quietly while we are eating dinner!
Kid Friendly Asian Recipes:
Roundups of Awesome Asian Inspired Recipes for families:
- Easy Asian Side Dishes – These easy family friendly Asian Side Dishes are the perfect compliment to your weeknight meal. Asian Vegetable Recipes and Side Dishes that are simple, quick to make, and that your family will love!
- Easy Asian Weeknight Meals – These Easy Asian recipes are family friendly and perfect for busy nights. These quick and easy recipes beat take out and are ready in 30 minutes or less!
Thai Stir Fry with Pork and Broccolini – This easy Thai Stir Fry with Pork and Broccolini is a great weeknight meal your family will love! With tender, bite sized pieces of pork, packed with veggies like broccolini, sweet peppers and mushrooms, and with a slightly sweet and flavorful Thai inspired sauce, this 30 minute dinner is sure to become a family favorite recipe!
Amazingly Easy Slow Cooker Pork Ramen – Have you ever wanted to try making your own ramen, but didn’t know where to start? Or did you even know you could make an amazing, healthy, easy and delicious ramen that doesn’t come in a microwavable pouch? This slow cooker pork ramen is so simple yet amazingly flavorful! This family friendly meal is perfect for busy nights and will quickly become a favorite!
Kid-Friendly Rainbow Sushi – This kid friendly sushi recipe is inspired by Princess Mulan! These vegetarian rainbow rolls are easy to make, fun to eat, and are a great starter sushi recipe for the whole family.
Pulled Pork Bahn Mi with Pickled Slaw – Who doesn’t love a messy sandwich? This Pulled Pork Bahn Mi Recipe is an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love. Crispy Bread is slathered in a spicy lime tahini mayo (its not too spicy for the kids, though!), a quick pickled vegetable slaw, and a gorgeous runny egg. It’s the weeknight meal you have been dreaming of!
Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry – This Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry is not only super healthy; it is so easy to make and packed with so much flavor! Best of all, it’s ready in less than 20 minutes!
Easy 30 Minute Healthy Orange Chicken – This easy 30 minute healthy Orange Chicken is full of real ingredients, great fresh flavor, and is perfectly easy for any night of the week! Your family will be begging for you to make it again and again!
Slow Cooker Chicken Ramen – This easy and budget friendly soup is perfect no matter the time of the year! Packed with flavor, completely easy, and a great way to get your family trying new foods!
30 Minute Beef Bulgogi Bowls – This Easy Bulgogi Recipe makes a great 30 Minute Korean Beef Bowl and is loaded with fresh ingredients & bold flavors, a rainbow of ingredients, and is kid-friendly & quick enough for any night of the week. It will soon be a family favorite!
Kung Poa Sheet Pan – This easy sheet pan dinner is a fantastic healthy spin on a traditional Kung Pao Chicken recipe, with tons of veggies, loads of flavor, and not much work!
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef – This Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef cooks to melt-in-your-mouth tender! Studded with onions, green peppers and shredded carrots, this Asian weeknight meal takes only minutes to throw together and is a perfect healthy family recipe!