This Oven Roasted Pulled Pork Recipe is the perfect recipe whether or not you have a slow cooker – it produces tender, juicy, fall apart meat every time. Perfect for your summer bbq’s, pulled pork sandwiches, or any other recipe you need it for.
We are no longer a “Crock pot” family. One morning a few months ago I set our crock pot up and went about getting ready for the day. Soon the smell of hot burning filled the house. After a frantic search through the house I discovered that our crock pot was exceedingly hot to the touch and was the reason for the burning smell. I quickly unplugged it, and then decided we would be ordering pizza for dinner that night. Since then I just haven’t gotten around to buying another one.
I don’t really miss the slow cooker all that much, either. Since I stay home with the girls I am (mostly) able to cook meals when I need. And besides, anytime I used the crock pot when I was home just led to me feeling half starved all day long. The delicious aromas of the slow cooker would saturate every room of my house, and I could barely stop myself from snacking all day long. Really, in the long run, its better that the crock pot is gone.
I have since been using this recipe and am completely enamored of it. It is simple to prepare, takes only a few hours, and every time it delivers delicious, tender, juicy meat! This recipe is just perfect for pulled pork sandwiches, pork tacos, or anything else you can think of! We usually make a large roast and use it for several meals! Either way, do NOT throw away those carrots! Those little babies are not throw away flavor adders here, they soak up so much awesome flavor, you will want to eat them all. I might be talking from experience here.
4 hours 20 minutes
4 pound pork shoulder, bone in
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 TBSP olive oil
2 yellow onions, peeled and cut into large wedges
3 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
12 ounce beer
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and olive oil to form a paste.
- Trim the pork of any big thick layers of fat.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the pork anklet sit for 30 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat some olive oil and brown the pork on all sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Remove the pork from the pot and keep warm.
- Place the onion, garlic and carrots in the pot and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and beer and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the pork back into the dutch oven, cover, and place in the oven.
- Bake 3.5 to 4 hours, or until the meat is extremely tender and pulls away from the bone easily.
- Shred the pork and discard the bone.
- (You can either shred the pork in the pot and eat as is, or you can remove the meat and add BBQ sauce! Either way, you need to eat those carrots, they are amazing!)
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 981Total Fat: 67gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 495mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 72g