This sweet potato hash recipe makes a delicious, hearty meal, perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. A healthier hash, this dish features pan-fried sweet potatoes, bacon, and black beans, all seasoned with southwest spices The tender oven-poached eggs on top make this a complete one-pan meal!
Southwest Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
Can I make sweet potato hash with regular potatoes?
Sweet potatoes have more health benefits than white potatoes, but you can definitely use them if you prefer them.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried chipotle chili flakes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 lb of bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 15 ounces black beans
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and chipotle flakes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes with the olive oil and half of the seasoning mixture.
- Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until just beginning to soften.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, set aside, and leave the oven on.
- In a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon, crumble, and set aside, reserving the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and remaining spice mixture and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the black beans and 3/4 of the bacon crumbles and cook until just warmed through.
- Make 4 wells into the hash and crack an egg into each one.
- Place the skillet into the oven and cook until the egg whites are cooked but the yolks are still a little runny (about 5-7 minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the oven and garnish with the remaining bacon and green onions.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 242mgSodium: 1651mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 37g