This cheesy cornbread recipe is a great homemade cornbread filled with cheddar cheese, fresh corn kernels, and topped with toasted pepitas!
This month’s Twelve Loaves was hosted by Cake Duchess, Life’s a Feast and Creative Culinary, and was all about nuts, seeds and grains. When we camp, we tend to be those people. We bring everything. And that includes bringing a campstove, plenty of cast iron and a cooler packed with plenty of food! (I mean, really, I have a food blog, you know we like to eat!) I decided to make some cornbread to take with us camping, and thought it would a perfect excuse to make something for Twelve Loaves!
Need some easy bread ideas to serve with dinner? Try these:
- Quick Skillet Focaccia – This easy focaccia recipe delivers a crisp crust and a tender crumb! It’s perfect every time.
- Whole Wheat Tortillas – Soft and flavorful, these easy tortillas are the perfect addition to taco night!
- Sourdough Naan – This sourdough naan recipe is so easy its foolproof! Delicious and flavorful naan is right around the corner with this great recipe!
- Lemon Thyme Cornbread – This easy savory cornbread with lemon and thyme is a quick but delicious quick bread recipe that will pair equally well with any main entree or with a slab of butter and a drizzle of honey for an afternoon snack.
- Easy Cheddar Beer Bread – This easy homemade cheddar beer bread is a great quick bread recipe to serve with stews, chili, and more! Hearty and flavorful, this beer bread recipe has many variations.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP honey
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cups pumpkin seed kernels (pepitas)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, olive oil, honey, eggs, cheese, and corn and gently mix together, until just incorporated.
- Pour into a buttered 9" cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle the pepitas on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g