This Swedish Beet and Apple Salad is an easy, quick side dish with a lovely pink color. You only need a few ingredients & minutes for this easy beet salad recipe.
The dinner hour is craziness – everyone in the family is tired and hungry, and everyone wants to talk about their day – show you their artwork, tell you stories, and more. It all ends up being noise and chaotic.
Trying to make dinner in this environment can be exhausting and trying, especially when you are trying to pay attention to what you are doing and you know, not burn things.
Does this hit home? Read How to make dinner easy for more tips to help make dinner simpler!
When it comes to side dishes, I like EASY and SIMPLE. Just a few ingredients and a few minutes is totally my game – and I imagine yours as well.
With this red beet and apple salad, you can mix it up before you start cooking and then leave it on the counter while you finish making dinner. It doesn’t get much simpler than that!
Easy Beet And Apple Salad Recipe
This side dish is really simple to put together – all you need to do is mix the dressing (greek yogurt, sugar, and cider vinegar) and then toss it with fresh chopped apple and beets.
The lovely pink color comes from the beets mixing with the dressing – no food coloring at all!
My girls really enjoyed the fact that this salad was such a pretty pink color, and I gleefully enjoyed the fact that they were eating beets (muahahaha).
Tips for Introducing Beets to Kids:
- Roasting the beets will help bring out its natural sweetness. This means that you will need to roast them the day before (or at least several hours) in order for them to cool down for you to use them. If you decide to use jarred or canned beets, don’t use pickled ones as it will increase the sour-factor.
- Dice the beets small! I used bigger chunks in the photos because it was prettier and I have been working on adding beets to my family’s diet for a while. If you are just starting out, dice the beets and the apples fairly small. You can even dice the beets much smaller than you do the apples.
Need more tips? Read the Guide to trying new foods for kids.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below!
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 jar canned beets
- 1 honey crisp apple
- 1/4 red onion, diced small
- In a small cup, mix together the greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the beets.
- Chop the beets, apple and onion and add to a medium bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Place in the fridge while you finish cooking dinner (for about 20 minutes) and stir before you serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 62Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g