**Quick Puff Pastry
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 20 TBSP unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup ice cold water
**Apple Honey Thyme Filling
- 4 Honey Crisp Apples
- ½ cup good quality honey
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 3 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 TBSP milk
**Rustic Puff Pastry
- Cube the butter and place in the freezer to chill while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Place the water in a cup with ice to chill.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the flour and salt with a fork.
- Add in the chilled butter and work with your hands to break up the pieces until uniform pieces of pea-sized butter remain.
- Pour in the ice cold water (but not the ice) and stir with the fork until a loose dough forms.
- Dump out onto a well floured counter and knead into a ball.
- Re-flour the counter if necessary and roll the dough out into a roughly 10" rectangle.
- Fold the dough into thirds (like an envelope) and rotate 90 degrees.
- Roll the dough out into a 10" rectangle, and then fold in thirds again.
- Repeat this process 5-6 times.
- The last time you fold it up, wrap in cling wrap and allow to sit in the fridge for 30-45 minutes (you can also leave this in the fridge overnight) while you make the apple filling.
- Core and dice the apples.
- Heat the honey in a large skillet over medium-low heat until simmering.
- Add the apples, thyme, and butter.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until the apples are slightly soft and caramelized looking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla paste, ginger, and salt.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper
- Flour the counter and roll the dough out into a large rectangle.
- Cut the edges of the dough off to form 4 straight edges.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal squares.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and 1 tsp milk together and brush one corner of each dough squash with it (so one corner and the two sides that form it).
- Leaving as much juice behind as possible, spoon the apple filling into the center of each square of dough.
- Fold the squares over to form a triangle (so the non-egg washed corner come to rest on top of the egg-washed corner.
- Press seal with the tines of a fork.
- Pierce the tops of each turnover with a sharp knife a few times to allow steam to leave and then brush with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until you get a thick icing you can drizzle on top of the cooled turnovers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g