This easy recipe for an Italian seasoning blend is a great way to add quick flavor to your food. Better than a store bought blend and kid friendly, this quick spice mix only needs a few pantry staples and a few minutes to make. A great way to flavor easy roasted whole carrots, focaccia bread, and more!
How much do you love seasoning blends? These are staples in my kitchen because they are SO easy to reach for when you want flavor but need easy! This particular blend is mild but flavorful with just the right blend of herbs and spices. I don’t add red pepper flakes to my Italian seasoning, which makes it a great kid-friendly recipe that still adds the great flavor adults love, too.
This simple but flavorful seasoning mix can be made with pantry staples in about 5 minutes and will enhance so many dishes that you cook!
What is Italian Seasoning?
Italian spice mix is made of a blend of dried Italian inspired herbs such as basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano and marjoram. It isn’t something that is typically found in Italy, but its a great shortcut invention that brings the same flavors you would find there!
It is a great way to add easy flavor to your food without having to measure out every single herb, which is awesome on busy nights when you need food to be fast but still flavorful.
How to make your own spice blend
Making your own spice blends is really easy! Follow the steps below to create your own super flavorful blend that doesn’t have any additional additives. Because a good Italian spice mix really depends on the flavor of each ingredient, it’s better to use quality ingredients and to make smaller batches than a really big batch.
I like to store mine in glass jars with a shaker lid to easily sprinkle the seasoning on when I need it.
Note: Should you use whole spices or ground spices ?
For this seasoning blend, I recommend using a combination of leaf and ground spices.
How to make your own Italian Seasoning Blend
Italian seasoning is a really easy spice blend recipe to make!
- Collect your spices and measure them out.
- Mix them up!
- Store in an airtight container.
- Ta-da! You are done!
Note: How long will this seasoning blend last?
This spice blend will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for about 12 months. Seasoning mixes like this don’t really spoil (unless you have had some bad cross contamination), but they will loose flavor over time, which results in your food tasting bland. Ground spices and dried herbs both last about 12 months before they should be replaced, but this blend will taste best within the first 6 months.
- dried basil leaves
- garlic powder
- dried parsley leaves
- dried rosemary leaves
- dried marjoram leaves
- dried thyme leaves
- dried oregano leaves
- onion powder
- ground black pepper
- Measuring spoons
- Spice Jars for storage
What do you use Italian seasoning for?
This spice blend is really so versatile and super easy to use. Here are some simple ways to use it!
- Add a little to your frozen pizza after baking to enhance flavor.
- Sprinkle it on roasted vegetables like Italian Herb Roasted Whole Carrots.
- Season pork chops or chicken before grilling them.
- Use it in meatballs, meatloaf, or easy weeknight ground beef ragu.
- Stir some into store bought spaghetti sauce to jazz it up.
- Use it in soups and stews like Chicken Lasagna Soup.
- Mix it into some plain greek yogurt for an almost ranch like dip kids will love.
- Add some to your quick focaccia recipe.
- Whisk it with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil for a simple vinaigrette.
Also try your hand at making Chinese Five Spice Powder!
There’s nothing I love more than seeing you make my recipes! If you make this for your pantry, don’t forget to leave a comment below and rate the recipe!
And if you are on Instagram, tag @thegingeredwhisk and use the hashtag #gingeredwhisk on social media when you make my recipes so that I can share them and maybe even feature you. Follow along to get the latest updates:
And don’t forget to subscribe to the email list to get all the extra tips, tricks and bonuses!
Want to save this for later? PIN THIS TO YOUR BOARD on Pinterest!
Italian Herb Seasoning Blend Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon dried parsely leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves crushed into little pieces
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Measure all the ingredients into a small mixing bowl.
- Stir together.
- Pour into a glass spice storage jar with an air-tight lid.