Whatever side dish you had planned for your dinner tonight, forget it. You want, no you NEED to make this!
This is seriously the best way I have ever eaten broccoli, ever! And I like my broccoli. This easy and delicious side dish should really be labeled “The Best Broccoli of Your Life”.
Roasting broccoli brings out this awesome flavor that otherwise is totally hidden. And when you add a little roasted garlic to the mix and top it with freshly grated lemon zest and real parmesan cheese, you have a stellar side dish made with actual real ingredients!
How to Get Kids to Eat Broccoli
This oven roasted broccoli is a perfect kid friendly recipe! Roasting the broccoli in the oven changes the flavor to robust and complex, which makes it slightly crispy and sweeter, which kids love! Don’t think its been burnt – the crispy black edges are what makes it crispy and fun!
The best way to get your kids interested in actually eating the broccoli? Have them help you in the kitchen!
This roasted broccoli is a perfect recipe to get your kids in the kitchen!
- Have your child help you wash and dry the broccoli
- Older children can practice their knife skills by slicing the broccoli into smaller pieces.
- Have children help you measure the olive oil and toss the broccoli to coat it.
- Kids can also help grate parmesan cheese and zest and juice the lemon.
For more information on having your kids help you in the kitchen, please read How to Cook and Bake with Your Kids.
Tips for Making the Best Oven Roasted Broccoli
- You can make this roasted broccoli with more garlic or without any, depending on your garlic preference.
- Cut the broccoli into smaller, thinner pieces to allow more of the broccoli to be covered in oil and exposed to the heat of the oven – this makes them sweeter and crispier.
- Make sure the broccoli is DRY before you coat it with olive oil.
- Toss the broccoli with the olive oil with your fingers, making sure that as much as the broccoli gets well covered with oil.
- Don’t use too much oil or your broccoli won’t crisp, it will turn out soggy.
- This recipe is easy to double or triple. Just remember to keep the broccoli in a single layer so it cooks evenly. Use two baking sheets if needed.
How to Prep Oven Roasted Broccoli Ahead
Oven roasted broccoli is so easy to make, and is really best fresh from the oven.
To prep ahead, wash and trim the broccoli, slice the garlic, grate the parmesan and zest/juice the lemon and store them in individual containers in the fridge until you are ready to roast the broccoli.
Can I Roast Frozen Broccoli ?
Yes, you can! It won’t get as crispy because the water content is higher, but it will still taste good!
This oven roasted broccoli with garlic, Parmesan and Lemon makes a fantastic and easy side dish that your family will love! This easy vegetable side dish pairs great with any meal. Roasted broccoli is so simple and easy, and the broccoli turns out perfectly with light and fresh flavors.
2 large heads of broccoli
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
Keywords: Side Dish Recipe, Vegetable Recipe, Roasted Broccoli Recipe
Recipe Slightly adapted from (Amateur Gourmet, who adapted it from Ina Garten)