Looking for more perfect holiday side dishes? Try these great recipes:
- Italian Herb Roasted Carrots – These easy Italian Herb Roasted Whole Carrots are the perfect vegetable side dish for when you need a quick recipe you don’t have to think about! These tender roasted carrots are packed with flavor and are great with everything!
- Greek Yogurt Green Bean Casserole – This easy Greek Yogurt Green Bean Casserole is simple to make and delivers on flavor while keeping the ingredients soup-free!
- The Best Creamed Corn Recipe – This creamed corn is the absolute best. Easy to make, with real ingredients, your holiday table deserves this.
- Roasted Asparagus with Brown Butter – This easy recipe is simple but it has amazing flavor and is perfect for special meals.
- Cheesy Potato Casserole – Cheesy Potato Casserole is a staple at holiday meals. It is creamy, cheesy, and so delicious! You won’t be disappointed in your decision to enjoy it!
- Orange Pecan Acorn Squash – This Roasted Acorn Squash Recipe with Orange and Pecan is perfect for fall. A little bit sweet, a bit savory, a bit zesty. The orange, cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans paired perfectly with the squash.
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts Recipe Notes
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with Cranberries and Barley is a flavorful and healthy vegetable side dish recipe to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’s easy to make and everyone loves the sweet, crispy Brussel sprouts, tart cranberries, and chewy barley!
Note, this recipe works best if you get all the elements in place BEFORE you start cooking! I also like to use quick-cooking barley and cook it while I am preparing the Brussel sprouts.
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly toasted pecans
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking barley
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar (the good kind)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Heat a 12″ cast iron skillet on the stove to medium-high heat.
- While things are heating, in a medium bowl, toss the Brussel sprouts with olive oil and salt.
- Dump the sprouts in the hot skillet and arrange so the flat sides are down.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the cranberries and transfer the skillet to the broiler (be careful – the pan is heavy and hot!)
- Broil for 3 minutes. You want the sprouts to be a little browned on top and caramelized on the bottom, and the cranberries should be just starting to pop.
- Place the sprouts and cranberries into a large bowl and toss in the warmed barley, cheese and pecans.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and Enjoy!
- This recipe works best if you get all the elements in place BEFORE you start cooking! I also like to use quick-cooking barley, and cook it while I am preparing the Brussel sprouts.*
- Recipe from Cookie + Kate
Keywords: caramelized Brussel sprouts, healthy side dish, Thanksgiving, Christmas