Caramelized Brussel Sprouts Recipe Notes
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with Cranberries and Barley is a flavorful and healthy vegetable side dish recipe to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’s easy to make and everyone loves the sweet, crispy Brussel sprouts, tart cranberries, and chewy barley!
Note, this recipe works best if you get all the elements in place BEFORE you start cooking! I also like to use quick-cooking barley and cook it while I am preparing the Brussel sprouts.
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly toasted pecans
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking barley
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar (the good kind)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Heat a 12″ cast iron skillet on the stove to medium-high heat.
- While things are heating, in a medium bowl, toss the Brussel sprouts with olive oil and salt.
- Dump the sprouts in the hot skillet and arrange so the flat sides are down.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the cranberries and transfer the skillet to the broiler (be careful – the pan is heavy and hot!)
- Broil for 3 minutes. You want the sprouts to be a little browned on top and caramelized on the bottom, and the cranberries should be just starting to pop.
- Place the sprouts and cranberries into a large bowl and toss in the warmed barley, cheese and pecans.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and Enjoy!
- This recipe works best if you get all the elements in place BEFORE you start cooking! I also like to use quick-cooking barley, and cook it while I am preparing the Brussel sprouts.*
- Recipe from Cookie + Kate
Keywords: caramelized Brussel sprouts, healthy side dish, Thanksgiving, Christmas