Thai Chicken and Quinoa Casserole
How Your Kids Can Cook With You:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure ingredients, rinse the black beans, and set the table.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help do everything above, plus help dice the peppers, cilantro and green onions.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help do everything above, plus cut the chicken, cook the quinoa, and stir everything together.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Books about Thailand to Read with Your Kids:
Because I am such a bookworm myself, and I think there is no easier way to gets interested in things than with books, I always include a great list of books that go along with my recipes.
Jenni Ward/The Gingered Whisk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
- Mela and the Elephant by Ziyue Chen is a cute book that teaches kindness and explores Thai culture.
- Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong Ho is a charming rhyme where a mother asks all the wildlife around her to say quiet while her baby sleeps.
- Peek! A Thai Hide and Seek by Minfong Ho has great rhyming text and explores all kinds of animals!
- Nu Dang and His Kite by Jacqueline Ayer is a cute story about a boy who looses his kite and explores the river with its floating market.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 4 mini sweet peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 TBSP coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (you can use leftover, rotisserie, or just skillet cook a few chicken breasts)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse the quinoa and cook according to package directions (7-10 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil, garlic, peppers, cayenne powder, curry powder, and chili powder, and the white parts of the green onions. Sautee 6 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, coconut milk, raisins, salt, 1/2 cup of the cilantro, chicken and the quinoa.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Top with the green onions and remaining cilantro, serve, and Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 507Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 9gSugar: 17gProtein: 21g
Looking for other great Thai flavors? Check out: