When it comes to weeknight dinners, recipes that make as few dishes as possible, are quick and easy, and are packed with both flavor and nutrition seem few and far between.
This chicken quinoa casserole is an almost one pot skillet dish (you do need a second pot to cook the quinoa in).
It is also so easy to customize based on what you have on hand. Leave the chicken out to make it vegetarian. Add in leftover chicken, or swap it out for pulled pork.
How to make this casserole recipe:
For the full set of directions, make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and get out a large cast iron skillet.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. This will take about 7-10 minutes, .
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil, then sauté the peppers, garlic, spices, and white parts of the green onions until nice and fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, chicken, cooked quinoa, coconut milk, raisins, 1/2 cup of cilantro, and salt into the skillet.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before topping with the chopped green onions and remaining cilantro.
Storage and Reheating Information
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave for a minute until warmed through.
How Your Kids Can Cook With You:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure ingredients, rinse the black beans, and set the table.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help do everything above, plus help dice the peppers, cilantro and green onions.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help do everything above, plus cut the chicken, cook the quinoa, and stir everything together.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below! Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Thai Chicken Casserole with Quinoa
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 4 mini sweet peppers diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 TBSP coconut oil or olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup chopped cilantro divided
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken you can use leftover, rotisserie, or just skillet cook a few chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse the quinoa and cook according to package directions (7-10 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil, garlic, peppers, cayenne powder, curry powder, and chili powder, and the white parts of the green onions. Sautee 6 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, coconut milk, raisins, salt, 1/2 cup of the cilantro, chicken and the quinoa.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Top with the green onions and remaining cilantro, serve, and Enjoy!