These copycat Cosmic Brownies are rich, fudgey, and chewy! Topped with a chocolate fudge frosting and plenty of rainbow candies. A perfect lunchbox treat, these homemade childhood favorites will be a hit with everyone.
This homemade recipe is a copycat version of the treats that Little Debbie sells. These thin, extra chewy brownies have a simple chocolate ganache frosting and are topped with iconic chocolate chip candies.
What makes them “cosmic”? These lovely little brownies were inspired by the Cosmic bowling trend in the late 90’s! The bright candy coated chips against the dark chocolate ganache resembles the neon colors and black lighting in a dark bowling alley.
You can find the candy coated chocolate chips in your baking aisle next to the sprinkles at your local grocery store, but you can also get them on Amazon (affiliate), too. I have also found them in the cake decorating section of craft stores.
Other Brownie Recipes:
- Zucchini Brownies – dense and fudgy with hidden shredded zucchini
- Black Bean Brownies – decadent, rich, and flourless, you won’t believe how good these are!
- Chocolate Stout Brownies with Peanut Butter Swirls – over the top amazing!
- Sourdough Brownies – made with sourdough starter discard!
How to make homemade cosmic brownies
This cosmic brownie recipe is an easy treat to make! For the full set of directions, please scroll down to the recipe card below. Here is a brief overview of how to make this:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare an 8×8 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, blend together the melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, eggs, corn syrup and milk until smooth
- Gently fold in the flour and salt until fully combined
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Note: Don’t overbake these! If anything, let them be underbaked just a tad. They will continue to cook as they sit on the counter and cool. This helps them to have the dense texture and make them super fudgy.
How to make chocolate ganache frosting
- Prepare the frosting by warming the cream in a small saucepan until very warm, but not boiling.
- Remove the cream from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate sauce over the baked brownies.
- Top with sprinkles and cool for 3 hours before slicing.
Store these brownies in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature. They also last in the fridge for a week. These are best when sliced and served chilled.
Cosmic brownies also freeze great! Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then place in a resealable freezer bag. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw your brownies at room temperature when you are ready to eat them.
Tips for great brownies
- Use a high quality cocoa powder. If you want a rich, deep, chocolatey flavor, you HAVE to use a good quality cocoa powder.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Just barely mix in the dry ingredients!
- Slice when chilled. These slice best when the brownies have been cooled to room temperature, and then chilled in the fridge. Use a large sharp knife with one quick motion. Don’t drag the knife through or you will end up with uneven edges. Wipe off your knife in between each cut to prevent sticking.
Kids in the kitchen: How your kids can help you cook
Inviting your kids into the kitchen with you is so important! Not only is it great quality time with you, but it also helps them to learn important life skills, practice their math, and more. PLUS it is an easy way to help boost their kitchen confidence, which helps them to be more interested in the foods you serve.
These homemade cosmic brownies are a great recipe to make with kids, as it helps them learn their measuring and stirring skills.
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you measure ingredients and sprinkle on the candy chips on top.
- Kids aged 4-6 can do everything above plus help you mix the brownie batter.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you do everything above, plus help you make the chocolate ganache.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below!
Want to save this for later? PIN THIS TO YOUR DESSERT BOARD on Pinterest!
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1- 4 ounce bar semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup rainbow crunch sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying with non-stick spray and lining with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to blend the butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, eggs, corn syrup and milk until smooth.
- Gently fold in the flour and salt until fully combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by warming the heavy cream in a small saucepan until extremely warm, but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Pour over prepared brownies.
- Top evenly with the sprinkles.
- Cool on the counter for 3 hours.
Storage - Store these brownies in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature. They also last in the fridge for a week. These are best when sliced and served chilled.
Slicing - I think these slice best when they have been chilled in the fridge, first!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is an estimate and is provided for informational purposes only. For the most accurate information, please calculate using your specific brands and exact measurements.